RANT: Wife's car has spoiled me...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I have loved owning Sport Tracs so much that I am on my third one, a very clean 2010 Limited V8 4x4 that I bought new. I still cannot find a truck that I would rather have instead of my Trac. However, here is my problem: Three months ago my wife traded her nice Honda Pilot for a Cadillac XTS AWD (black/black 4-door sedan). She recently changed jobs and we both work in the same building, so we ride together and almost always take the car. The Trac is not getting much use lately, which is fine with me. However, this week she is out of town and I have been driving my Trac all week. I hate to say this, but my Trac is not very comfortable anymore. It rides rough. The seats suck. It handles like crap. The engine is rough like a tractor. The interior is plain. I am starting to not like it. Even the 10 minute ride to work is not fun. :sad: Please keep in mind that up until she got the Cadillac, my Trac was perfect! :supercool: I have driven it as far west as Durango, Colorado and to Savannah, Georgia. It has gone to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It used to be very comfortable and luxurious. I could ride in it for hours.

Lately, I find my mind wandering and thinking about a nice twin turbo Cadillac CTS-V coupe, even though I am not about to spend any more money to get one. Besides, I need the Trac for home improvement projects, farm work, pulling my trailer, etc.

FML!!! I don't know if there is anything that can be done for me at this point. I just wanted to pass this on so that others may learn from this. If you have any suggestions for help, I would be happy to hear them. I have no confidence that I can be healed...

:toilet:

Last edited by a moderator:
First suggestion: Ask your wife to run down to HD and pickup 25 treated 2X4X8's and 4 bags of concrete mix in her Caddy. When she gives you her response :fire: :cry:, you'll appreciate the hell out of your Trac for many more years. Versatility can be a much greater benefit than quality of ride.

My second suggestion: "Don't get divorced so you can enjoy being a passenger in her Caddy and continue to have the best of both worlds!" :banana:

I hear you loud and clear. I do maintenance on my mother's fully loaded '07 v6 accord. I drive the crap out of it "to verify the repair";) Even my youngest daughter has a 2010 Mazda Sport. I do the same with hers:) "sporty" cars can be VERY fun and luxurious.

But, I must stick to my guns at my age. 1st- I'm a Ford guy, 2nd- I'm a truck guy. I guess the only thing that actually has any validity to it is -I hate sitting that close to the road. I feel much safer being able to see past the vehicle in front of me and I don't want a soccer moms SUV bumper to hit me in the face. Maybe exaggerating a bit but that's how I feel.

Also, I believe having an under powered, unstable brick is saving me thousand in tickets. I drive like an very old man. I'm a bit of a hyper-miler. Ever since I got the ScanGuageII a 2 years ago. I try to beat my mpg to work and back daily. BUT, but but but...I LOVE my ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Many many many reasons. One of them is this forum.

This:
Versatility can be a much greater benefit than quality of ride.
Well said toptobottom

I guess I've made enough subtle improvements to my Trac 's performance, ride and handling over the years to keep me entertained. I plan on replacing the aging factory wheels with something a little more sporty this coming year. Nasty Ohio winters have taken their toll on the originals. I plan on keeping my Trac at least until Ford gets back in the game and offers a similar replacement. If not, I guess I'll just keep it 'till it falls apart.

Gavin, I know the feeling!

I had two Sport Tracs in a row and liked them both. When I decided I did not need a truck anymore and wanted something with more sophisticated ride and handling. I started it looking at cars to purchase. I checked out the Ford Mustang, BMW, Honda Accord, Cadillac, and Mercedes-Benz.

The Mustang was all decked out with all the performance options but was too loud and rough riding...worse than the Sport Trac.

BMW was good but was more focused on performance and less on creature comfort and they were more expensive than most of the other cars.

Cadillac were really nice, however I could not make heads or tails of the long, long list of confusing options? ie: (if you want this option, you have to get this option, but cannot get this other option or that option?) If I was going to spend that kind of money, I wanted it equipped the way I wanted it. I did not want to just buy one off the dealers showroom unless it had what I wanted.

I finally settled on either a fully loaded Accord or the Mercedes C300 Sport. Mercedes was more expensive but the dealer was giving me a great deal on the C300 and top dollar for my Sport Trac trade-in. When I went to Honda and told them what Mercedes was offering, they said they would match their trade-in value and discount the price of the Accord...If they could find one with the options an color I wanted. They found 2, but one was a demonstrator and they would not trade for a demo car? They were not able to locate exactly what I wanted.

So I went with the Mercedes and asked them to find one with the options and color I wanted.

Then the dealer offered to sell me the C300 I test drove. It had all the options I wanted, and few more that I did not want to pay for, and it was Palladium Silver ($750 option color) and not the Black that I originally wanted. It only had 75 miles on the odometer and I put most of them on it during my test drive. The dealer took another $1000 of the price of the car in addition the the previous discounted sales price. He said it would be cheaper for him to give me the added oprions rather than pay to find the car I wanted and ship it here. So I got about $5000 off the price which included over $2000 in options that were nice, but I did not really need them.

Comfort and creature features is so far above the Sport Trac its beyond comparison, and like you, I was immediately spoiled.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
No Thanks! Jeep is crap these days. Nobody even bothers preserving them anymore like they used to in the old days.

They've been too busy trying to be too many things to too many types of Buyer and lost all quality. BTW, I don't see the pickup bed on there!

I know how you feel Gavin. While I don't have a ST anymore I am very partial to my 2008 Tundra. I work on all makes and models everyday so I like to think I am a pretty good judge of vehicles and the overall capabilities of my Tundra are beyond the competitors...in my opinion. The wifes car is a fully loaded 2009 BMW 535I, I don't drive it much but when I do I find myself wanting to sell the Tundra and get me a little something something, unfortunately a little something something does not have the ability to pull my toyhauler. Funny thing is is that when we go somewhere the wife wants to take the truck and I want to take the car....talk about FML

gavin, nah GC 5200 lb SUV .

btw, will out perform a lot of sports cars 😝

topobottom,

the SRT is the furthest thing from a jeep !

It is all good...!

What terrible problems we have to deal with here in the first world. So many great vehicles to choose from. :grin:

I grew up in the late 70s / early 80s and can remember when we didn't have ANY good vehicles to choose from... :sad:

Have a nice week, everyone! :banana:

Gavin,

I hear you, wives got a 2007 toyota camry hybrid, all the bells and whistles. Drives like a dream......sorta.

When the snow hits, I am driving her rig to my bus stop, cus it SUCKS in the snow. :throwup:

she always complains when we take my rig anywhere, and pull into the garage. The whole driving over the rounded (really?) curb, the bumping back and forth as the truck rocks. Im smiling, shes fuming. :bwahaha:

But then, the call comes in. Honey, my car cant take this or that, can I have you meet me. :banghead:

Yea, it may ride rough (until the Bilsteins and Express sway come in), but I like it rough....wait, that came out wrong. :banana:

Im a keeping this old 2005 Adrenaline, for a long long time now!

Been in a few rentals lately due to the timing chain issues on the trac...

Chevy Equinox... love this thing, drove it for 4 years professionally with strobe lights and mouse ears on top, had it as a rental... still rather be in the trac. It is one of the most balanced vehicles I've driven, but I think it's overpriced and it's a chevy. Hands down best AC in FL heat.

Ford Taurus... took a little getting used to, absolutely loved it, would make this my other car, still not giving up the trac.

Toyota Camry... what I'm in now until I get my trac back. I'm so happy they put me in this god awful piece of crap because my trac will feel like an upgrade when I get it back.

Just glad they didn't put me in a new explorer at any point.