Random No Crank Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Barley

Reaction score
I just got a 2004 st 4x4 with 85k miles. My problem is that randomly is will not crank. A couple of times this past week I have went to leave work and I put the key I the ignition and go to start my truck. I go to the start position and get nothing. Sometimes I can hold the key in the start position and it will randomly start, other times it will start dinging at me after around 20 seconds. At that point I have to turn the key off and then try again, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times before it starts and others it will crank on after about 10 seconds on the first try. Can anyone point me in a direction to try. I've tried wiggling the key while in the start position and that didn't seem to do anything different. Any help is appreciated.

Do you have a second key? If so, does using it give the same intermittent problem? I am trying to determine if it may be a PATS issue (chip in key).

Yes I tried the spare key today and it still didn't work.im going to do some more trouble shooting tomorrow. I've noticed that it does that and then I get it to start , the odometer display says check gauges for a few seconds then goes away. Not sure if that's part of what's going on or not. Also noticed that the theft light works like normal, not constantly blinking like I've seen as a no Crack issue on you tube.

I had a situation once where I had nada and then times it would start perfectly. I had changed the starter since it was an old original but did the same intermittent start problem - turn key into start position and nothing. It drove me crazy until guy at the auto parts shop said to change the battery cable. It was cheap so I gave it a shot and never had a problem after that. Sometimes corrosion gets bad inside it and it can't deliver the juice needed.

Do you all the idiot lights come on for test sequence when you turn key to 'ON' position?

I'll double check all of that. But I am getting all dash lights and when it decides to start it still cranks strong. It's not like the normal not starting because of a dead battery or weak starter. when I turn the key everything seems normal til I go to crank it over and get nothing but dash lights. Not starter click or anything like that, I do hear the fuel pump kick on when the key is turned on. I got the truck from my grandfather and he said this has been happening for awhile but it's always random, he had a repair shop look at it and they replaced the starter but that obviously didn't fix the problem.

Bad starter.

Todd Z

Check the Steering column wiring harness Multi-connector plug. It is common in Gen-1 Sport Tracs to not have enough slack in the wiring harness and tilting the wheel up and down pulls on the connector. Sometimes it pulls the connector apart, pulls wire loose from the connector, or even breaks wires. The results is often very erradic operation of anything wired through the steering column to include Ignition, Starter, Horn, Lights, Wipers, Turn signals, brake lights, etc.

Had this exact same problem happen on my 2003 Sport Trac when my wife was visiting her sister in Louisiana. Had the vehicle towed to a local Ford dealer and it took them all day before one Tech remembered the steering column wiring harness connector. tightened the connection and added a bit of slack in the harness to allow the full range of wheel tilt, and I never had the problem again.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: