Radio replacement to Nav sytem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
If I bought a Gen2 Adrenalin and wanted to upgrade to the Navigation System what would I have to buy (along with the head unit) and do?

I like Pioneer. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_168550/In-dash-DVD-Receivers.html?tp=20217&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer

They got GPS specific units and then their DVD head units have a GPS add-on. Check 'em out. If that is the kinda thing you are looking for!

Henry, Did you already buy the Adrenalin? I don't think its as easy as slapping in the unit. You'll need to mount the antenna(which will require drilling through the roof) Run all the wiring. Not sure if its a different wiring harness. I mean one harness for NAV, one for without. Dunno, you'll have to look in the wiring manual to find that answer. Bob

Haven't bought the new Adrenalin yet, cause they haven't paid or removed the crashed one yet. I was looking at an Adrenalin in Columbus, Ohio that looks great but doesn't have the Nav system. I can live without it but I thought it would be cool to have.

Unless you really, really want the Ford system, I would recommend getting a portable GPS from TomTom or Garmin (avoid Magellan). Buy one with lifetime maps at the very least. I have a TomTom XXL with lifetime maps and traffic. I am very pleased with it. I get new map updates every quarter which I download through the computer. If you go with Ford's system it will cost you $200 a year for new maps. Mine only cost $140 new. :supercool:

Take a look at the new Kenwood receiver that fits your truck. Very shortly there will be an additional part that can fit this unit to offer native Sync and Sirius access from this unit as well as native support for the steering wheel controls. So, you basically get the factory features with a new unit and GPS. I'd suggest talking to Cruthcfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX9990/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX9990HD.html?tp=20212

wow.. now that's neat! I will be replacing my HU with a kenwood and the Maestro when it comes out!!

Thanks for the heads up Heyward

Yup. I'm thinking about this as well. Looks really neat. I just saw this an hour before you posted your comment so your timing was great. Good luck.

I have the Pioneer Avic BT-320Z in my 2010. Was able to use steering wheel buttons, and it has sync-like features, which BT to your phone.

Looks pretty sharp, I can post pick if you'd like.