Radio Harness Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
I am needing assistance identifying wires off the 16 pin radio harness on my 2002.

Light Blue/Red

Black

Red/Black

Orange/Red

Gray/Pink

White/Light Green

Dark Green/Orange

Black/Green

Light Blue/White

Orange/Light Green

Tan/Yellow

Gray/Light Blue

Black/Green

Yellow/Black

Light Green/Purple

This is a pic of the 2001, but it is a AM/FM/CD in-dash only and may not have all of what you need (and some of the wire colors may have changed).

7f6c92bba3944a7997942d4e517aad46.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My main question is there are multiple black/green wires. I am guessing the outside one is for an amp ground? The green/purple I am also taking as constant 12V? My factory radio has three harnesses but I don't have a factory sub so I'm a bit baffled what the other two are?

My main question is there are multiple black/green wires. I am guessing the outside one is for an amp ground? The green/purple I am also taking as constant 12V? My factory radio has three harnesses but I don't have a factory sub so I'm a bit baffled what the other two are?

Three harnesses or connectors plugged into the radio? The harnesses (with connectors at the ends) are typically there whether or not the components are. These may be for what the connectors are (and there is nothing at the other end). Do you have an external CD player or amplifier?

Green (GN) or light green (LG)?

There is no purple noted in the list of wire colors I have (for the 2001) - there is a violet (VT), but yours could be different. So, maybe your black/green is black/light green (BK/LG) and your green/purple is light green/violet (LG/VT)? If so, the BK and BK/LG are grounds to different locations (pins 2, 11 and 16 are in the same connector and are the grounds for these three wires). The LG/VT is hot at all times.

I've updated the schematic to include the ground wires (BK and BK/LG).

If I were guessing, I'd guess that:

- the BK wire on pin 2 is the ground for the lighting because it's a 22 gauge wire

- the BK/LG wire on pin 11 is for the head unit (radio, CD, etc.) because it's a 20 gauge wire

- the BK/LG wire on pin 16 is the ground for an amplifier (the head unit, maybe) because it's a 16 gauge wire

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Got er in. Used the amp ground in the harness for the parking brake bypass. Had to dremel more of the bezel than anticipated but went well.