Radio back light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 69094

Reaction score
The backlight disply on my radio is going out. Sometimes very dim others completly dark.

Original radio anyone have this happen Can it be fixed easy

sounds like your round dash dimmer adjustment wheel next to the headlight switch. could be out of adjustment, could be flaky...

My guess is that the light in the headunit is failing.

Had my headunit replaced under warranty last year when it went out; dealer price was $900 (warranty would only replace with factory headunit, only paid $100). I would suggest replacing it with an aftermarket unit if you do not have a warranty.

If it was your dimmer switch/wheel failing the other lights would doing the same as the radio.

Keith S.

Yes if it was the dimmer switch all interior lights would be afected.

It is only the radio.

The radio itself works fine only the disply is affected.

It would not be worth $900 the fix a factory radio.

Could get complete after market for less.

The similar thing happened with my wifes Milan, the contact inside the radio were loose or cold solder joint... It would work if I pressed on display. Got a used one out of vineyard. Take it apart and wiggle connections

Either aftermarket or there are a lot of used OE radios on eBay from junkyards. I got one there for my dad's Cadillac for $9. The shipping cost more than the radio.

Decided to give it a try today. The radio back light was at the point where it was totally dark - no light whatsoever. I followed the directions I posted from youtube. It took about an hour and a half. Most of that time was spent fussing with the quality of the soldering. Very tedious. But, as you can see, it worked! :haveabeer:

a36c0cdf95c29dab5868506c9316faff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Might add that I did do one thing different from the youtube instructions which was to completely remove the radio from the dash before trying to remove just the faceplate. The small torx screws that hold the faceplate on are easier to get at on a bench and there is less chance of dropping one into the abyss. There are four 7mm screws and all of the wiring connections unplug from the back. Just sayin'...

Latest posts