Quick rant/rave

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Martin

Reaction score

Hello all, this is my first post...I have a general rant/rave about the STA.

Please enlighten me as to why this vehicle seems to get no love from the automotive press! I've had my Adrenalin for 1 full month and think this is the most underrrated vehicle ever! I'm coming out of a 2006 Nissan Titan that I loved, but it's just too big - I looked at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier, even the H3T and NOTHING compares to the Sport Trac in all honesty.

Am I missing something? Is the Ridgeline really worth $10k more than this? Maybe I should just be happy with the exclusivity of this vehicle - Does anyone regret purchasing their STA??

I could go on and on, but I won't - Just wanted to say hello, it's nice to join a community of folks that are passionate about this "niche" vehicle. Hmmm...AWD V8 mid size truck for under $40k CDN...I can't believe I'm not seeing these EVERYWHERE.

Im right there with you. I NEVER would have owned a Ford until I bought my ST. I have always had sports cars and a Wrangler and when I found out Id be a father, well, it was time to get something more practical. I looked at the Avalanche, wife said it was too big and wouldnt drive and happened to drive past a car lot and saw my ST. We decided to take a look and just really liked it, the versatility, the styling, everything. Mine isnt an Adrenaline but maybe next time. Not much hype about the ST anywhere, too bad its production is about over. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site. Lots of info and great people to talk with about pretty much anything.

You just opened up a floodgate of praise for this truck. I don't think you will find anyone here who is not happy with thier Trac. There are some areas it could be improved (suspension seems to be the main), but like me, everyone here will praise thier trac. :cool:

I am with you about lack of press. The only reason I knew about the trac, and that it was the ride I was going to get was because I saw one driving down the road, and thought it was very different, but couldn't find near enough info on it. I finally ran into someone that had one, and he loved it.:wub:

The next week, I was driving an 01. Now I am on my second, an 05 Adrenalin, and would love the new 2010. But I am right now upgrading the piss out of the engine, suspension, exhaust and interior.

It is a niche vehicle, so there won't be alot of press. Thats too bad, because I keep impressing people with just what this bad little boy can do!

Your not the first to post a rant about the lack of press, and wont be the last. Welcome to the club! And we love pictures! Gotta show us the ride!:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

Welcome to the site. When did you purchase your STA? Where abouts in Canada are you? I'm from SW Ontario.

Most of us on this site have come to terms with Ford's lack of advertisement on the STAs and the STs in general. I look at it as a good thing. Although I absolutely LOVE my Sport Trac (and haven't thought about driving another vehicle since I bought it) I'd prefer not to see thousands on the road.

Just look at the Ranger for example. They are a dime a dozen and more than 80% of them are in sh!t shape because they belong to people who don't really give a rats a$$ about the vehicle.

The ST appeals to a certain market (young-at-heart, adventurous males and females who are proud of their vehicle choice - exactly who Ford aimed them at, according to the Advertisements that do exist). IMO its a great thing that the ST is a niche vehicle. It keeps them relatively rare.

Although I have to admit that I have seen a TON of 2nd Generation STs on the road around here, more specifically the 2nd Gen STA is popping up again and again on the roads in London. Someone sees it go by and thinks "holy #$%&, thats a nice truck" and heads down to the local Ford dealer and sees just how beautiful the truck truly is. Then they see the price tag and end up like you -- wondering why the hell you never thought of getting one sooner.

Enjoy, I'm still loving my 2003 XLT 4x4.

Let me just basically say this, welcome and its awesome to see you enjoying your ST. And amen to what you said.

Caymen said:
Ford doesn't pay them to say good things.

Assuming that's accurate some might think that means that Ford is taking the "high road". Personally, if paying for good publicity is what it takes, then Ford should be doing all it can.

I've said it before, I will say it again, if you have the best truck (or SUT) out there but few know it, that doesn't mean much. Marketing creates perception and perception defines reality.

TJR

Wow! Titan, Ridgeline, Tacoma, Frontier, and the H3T all could have had a V8!

The V8 and decent (not perfect) engineering is what makes the Trac so damn loveable!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Thanks for all the affirmation! I figured I was in the right place for this...

Shaun, I bought the truck a month ago in Rimbey AB (I live in Calgary) - I didn't even know it existed until I saw one at the car show in March/09, my buddy said - hey, there's your next truck - What can I say, he was right! My only gripe was with the front license plate holder being attached to the truck (in Alberta, we don't require front plates) - Anyhow, my buddy works at a GM dealership and got his bodyshop to color match some plugs for the holes left when I took off the bracket - pretty nice fix.

Another guy in my office has a Ridgeline and I've been parking right next to him just to rub in the fact that my truck is soooo much sweeter than his....(he won't admit it tho).

Here's a pic...wasn't sure how to post pics on here. - did this work?

[Broken External Image]:

Welcome ford con-vert. And your right on. I hate full size trucks with a passion and I had a Ranger before that was just to small. The ST is the most perfect truck ever built. I don't know why it's not more popular.

Nice Grant! That is a sweet lookin ride! Now comes all the fun upgrading that beauty! And your on the right site for that! There is more knowledge here than I think all the Ford mechanics the world over have!

And I love the whole Rustline....I mean Ridgeline thing, I have a neighboor who has the Chevy Avalanche, and I give him a hard time about it. I tell him theres something on his fancy paint job, and he falls for it all the time. He askes me what, and I tell him that truck underneath the paint:p

I have a 2010 STA in the Brilliant Silver on order. I hope it will look as good as yours. This will be my 4th ST. I have had an 01, 03, 08, and now the 10. Very sharp looking STA!!!

Rod

Rod, you are going to love the color - They all look good, but the silver is pretty classy looking in my opinion. It's nice to see so much loyalty to this vehicle.

Who said Ridgeline is a truck? Hell- its not even a Toyota!

However I would drive a Ridgeline before I had to drive a Crapalanche!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcometo the site. Good folks and good info..

I like silver. My '04 is the first silver vehicle ever..Im glad I did..

[Broken External Image]:

Ford doesn't advertise them much and even before gas got expensive the dealers never seem to have more than one or two at most on the lot.

I'm on my second one and I hear it too..."What kinda truck izzat?"