Question: What should I coat the inside of my exhaust with?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big K

Reaction score
So, if everyone remembers I've got some duals put on along with a 50HD series Flowmaster muffler, and I was wondering what I should coat the inside of the pipes with to prevent rusting.. I'm in Colorado, and our weather likes to mess exhausts up, and I figured that I should coat it with something but I don't know what. I'm totally new to this, so any info, tips, how-to's, etc, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

- Nick/BigK

Nothing to coat the inside of the pipes. If the muffler shop used a good qaulity aluminized pipe. You can spray andwipe the pipes down after the oil has burned off from heat.Go to a dollar store and buy some spray brake cleaner. Wash the pipes.

Duplicolor makes high heat exhaust paint with ceramic flakes. Stands up to 1200F. Sprayed my SS 'stang headers. The only place it flaked was at the bend next too the head. More than 1200F there.

Spray paint after the cleaner dries. No qauratee what you salted winter roads will do. though.

Why are you worrying about coating the inside of the pipes now, after the exhaust is intalled?? Are you going to take it all apart to coat the pipes? I don't think it is worth the time and expense now.

As previously stated, If you were concernted about the pipes rusting you should have had the shop install stainless steel, or aluminized steel pipes...which they may have done...Have you checked to see what kind of pipes they used?

There is a ceramic coating process used on headers because of the extreme heat, but I have never heard of anyone doing the whole exhaust that way?

Removing and coating pipes after the exhaust is installed is not very practical now. You could probably replace the pipes with aluminized pipe much cheaper than removing the old trying to put anykind of coating on the pipes.

I know you are trying to save money because you feel the pipes with rust out in a few years, but you should have spent the few extra dollars for stainless steel or aluminized steel pipes on the initial install...anything you do now is just going to cost you more than is practical to spend. Enjoy your exhaust now and if/when it rusts out, you can reevaluate if you want to replace it with better quality pipe, or if you really want to even keep your vehicle by then.

...Rich

I have never seen exhaust pipes rust from the inside out. I have seen mufflers rust that way, but even coating them on the inside wouldn't help because of the baffles inside. Mufflers have drain holes to drain the water. If you avoid short drives from a cold start, you should be fine.

We have 200,000+ miles on the original exhaust system on our 2000 Explorer. I have 114,000 miles on my 2002 Sport Trac.

Tom

Gavin,

The automotive uses for that coating are to cylinder walls, pistons, camshafts, etc primarily to reduce wear. I can almost guarantee that Bigk could completely remove and replace his exhaust system with high quality stainless steel exhaust pipes (probably several times) for what it would cost to get the old pipes coated.

The best exhaust system is stainless steel and is reasonably cost if you do it from the begining...Unless cost is no issue, upgrading his newly installed system is not worth the money now. and he might just as well get the use out of his current system.

...Rich

I got the Gibson aluminized system, painted the outside of the pipes and muffler with silver hi-temp paint before installing it. Three years in the salt belt and it still looks like new.

JohnnyO,

Three years in the salt belt and it still looks like new.

Come on now! Not even a nick or scratch in three years? I can't beleive that, unless You've had it sitting up on blocks for 3 years...:bwahaha:

...Rich

As I said before. If you clean the oil and dirt off new alluminized pipe. The duplicolor high temp ceramic holds up very well. It did on my 'stang headers. Except at the heads, where the temps run 1700F

Sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to this thread, I've had a lot going on lately. (I.E. dog got pneumonia, sister almost died from an epileptic episode, almost lost my job, etc...)

Anyway,

I haven't a clue what sort of pipe the shop used. It looks like SS up to the tips, but their just chrome as far as I know. The reason I've asked what I could coat the inside of my pipes with is because I've noticed that some of the condensation that stays in my pipes after a drive will show up all orange, and rust-like the next day. I'm tempted to drill a hole in the bottom of the tips to allow it to drain but I don't know if I could do that well enough to not look like a slob job.

EddieS'04 said:
As I said before. If you clean the oil and dirt off new alluminized pipe. The duplicolor high temp ceramic holds up very well. It did on my 'stang headers. Except at the heads, where the temps run 1700F.

Yeah, I washed the pipes and muffler with Dawn then roughed it up with some 400 grit before I painted them. Other than some surface rust on the muffler seams, it looks like new. The OE pipes and muffler were supposedly stainless steel but they were covered in rust when I removed them...truck was all of three months old at the time...I got it in December and put the Gibson system on in March. So my painted cat-back system looks better in three years than the OE system looked after three months.

Latest posts