Question About Key Compatibility

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Anyone know if the newer Ford keys (key and remote fob all in one) would be compatible with a Gen 1 ST? We recently purchased a 2008 Taurus for my wife, and it has this type of key. It would be nice to get one for my '04 ST, to "unclutter" my key ring.

27383ffe8d0fef706b09ef3a8a3ac62a.jpg

However, you CAN go the other way with those. Vehicles that have the integrated key & transmitter can use the separate key and fob. When the Fusion first came out, the keys were on backorder, so Ford told us we could use the separate keys and fobs for them. I wish they would work. I'd like to have just one key for both my Trac and my Explorer. I already have them both programmed to the same remote.

That's what Ford told us. Not sure exactly how it works or why. If I were to guess, I would say that Ford may have originally designed the system to just be what it looks like, but changed something inside later so that it would not be backwards compatible. It's crazy.

Roger is right. I bought a standard key from LaRue. I had an old seprerate ford fob. I programed the fob to work with wifes '08 escape...