Program Transponder key with remote start installed ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I need to replace one of my transponder keys before it breaks even more. The loop on the top is cracked, I glued it on but I don't want to lose it. 2010 ST Limited, V-8. I have the remote start installed. Does that mean that I have a bypass module or a blank transponder key hidden under the dash? If I program the new key with the 2 old ones will the remote start still work?

I am afraid that if they did the old hide a blank transponder key under the dash so the remote start starts up without the key being in the car thing that and without programing the hidden key the remote start wont work anymore.

I'm not a professional installer but I've installed several so I'll take a stab at this. You're adding a key, not changing the ones that you have. I would think that the installer used a bypass module that reads a good key and stores that info in the module. I don't think adding a key will change what you already have. But of course I assume no liability. :argue:

FYI for anyone looking to install remote start, the system I installed on mine uses no transponder, basically plug/play. It uses the factory remote. Hit the lock button three times and it starts. The dedicated fobs have a better range though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I need the 2 original keys to program the 3rd. I don't know if it just programs the new one with the same code as the originals or puts a "new" code on all 3 keys. Want to program them and find out the remote start doesn't work anymore.

Also I have the ford remote start that replaces the original key fobs with the one with the fob that has the extra buttons. The range is great! I have an aftermarket one on my wife's wrangler with press the lock button 3 times and the range sucks, about 30-40 feet at best.

So you have a Ford remote start system? If so the manual will say how to program the system if your remote start transponder needs reprogrammed. I'm guessing you have the gold system but you can get that info off the main module they installed under the dash. The manuals are online. I'd be happy to help if you can identify the system. Or you can always go back to whomever installed it.

It was installed at the dealer, that is no longer in business.

I am just trying to figure out if I can program the new key without messing up the remote start.

If the remote start has a bypass installed then am I good to go?

Did they give you a manual? I'd have to know what you have installed. You should be able to see the main module under the dash somewhere. It'll have model/part number on it. Basically if you can identify the unit then you can reprogram the bypass if needed. Just like installing a new one. I may even be able to identify it from the remote but the module would be best.

They didnt give me a manual. I have this remote:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Ok you have the gold system. I'm sending to your listed email the .pdf files of the installation manual, owners manual, and reference guide so you'll have them. Your system uses what ford calls a securilock interface module. It does not have a key, it just memorizes your existing key. How to program it is on pages 77 & 78 of the installation manual. So if adding a new key results in the remote start not working, you just reprogram the securilock. Sometimes the instructions get a little confusing, but any remote installer could help. You really can't mess it up. The only thing I can warn you is that your vehicle can only program a certain number of keys onboard, then it has to be reset by the dealer. Programming the securilock may count as a key program, so don't just keep trying or you may run out of chances.

I got the files. Thanks so much for the files and the info.

I am waiting for the key to be delivered then I will give it a go this weekend.

This site and the great group of people still prove to be a very valuable tool.

Thanks again.

I can tell you that with my gen 1, and a Viper remote start system that did have a blank transponder key hidden under the dash, I was able to program new keys with no problem with the remote start.

I programed the new key with the "add a key" method I found on the explorer forum. No problem at all and didnt effect the remote start. Thanks to all for the help!