1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Probably been posted 100 times at least.

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Rkb53, May 7, 2020.

1. Rkb53

Rkb53 Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

Hello there everyone.
    My first post as a new member so please bear with me. I just bought a 2008 V8 limited with only 63 yes that's right 63,000 miles in beautiful shape. My first question of the day is, what oil to use. The book, and oil cap both say to use ONLY 5w-20 which I am sure the perfect oil for this engine. However, I want to use something a little heaver. The oil I prefer to use weight wise is 10w-30. Is there any reason I can't use this? OK fuel mileage may suffer a tiny bit but other than that ,is it going to cause any problems down the road? I don't want to end up with stuck rings or anything like that, I just like that 10w-30 oil is thicker and in Connecticut plus the little towing I do 10w- 30 has always worked best for me. I'm sorry this is such a long post for a question that has been asked a 1,000 times I'm sure but thank you for reading it. RKB

2. Ed Fenwick

Ed Fenwick Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Welcome Rkb, I am sure that there are many guys that know more than I and soon they will chime in. 5wt when you start up especially in the winter will flow faster than 10Wt. I live in Hawai'i and I crank my engine until the oil pressure is up before it fires.
    That said, if you give it a warm up before driving off, I don't think that 10Wt is much thicker.
    I just spent over $4k on my engine so I am overly careful. When I was in the car business, my boss said that oil is cheep insurance.

3. Richard McAlister

Richard McAlister Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

RKB, welcome.
    I have a '10 ST 4.6L with 55k on the clock. I had it professionally supercharged (Roush) a couple of years ago and was concerned about the extra heat that would be inherent with the supercharger. The installer recommended that I keep 5W-20 in it because of the clearances of the engine, but if concerned, to go with a good full synthetic oil. I have followed that recommendation.

4. Rkb53

Thank you Richard. I plan on using a synthetic oil, but I was hoping to hear from more people about using the heaver weight oil. I agree with your installer that if the factory recommends a certain product, they have done more testing than I will ever do. Is it all about that extra mpg or is it that the engine needs it because of X reason? That is what I'm trying to find out.

5. Ed Fenwick

Ed Fenwick Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

Rkb, I am sure that the engineers were more concerned about the clearances than mpg.

6. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

The motor clearances are not designed for the thicker oil especially on cold weather start up...…. Im well over 100K and most people with the 5w20 are staying with that... I also only use Amsoil or Valvoline synthetic.

7. Rkb53

Is there REALLY that much difference between 5 weight and 10 weight oil? That is what I really want to know. Does anyone out there have a write up report on the different rates of oil flow at a certain temp.? I have the same question for 20 verses 30 weight oil. We talk about tight clearances in an engine which is true. H however when you start a cold engine, the clearances are bigger and as the oil comes up to temp.and the engine too, the clearances get tighter not looser. I worked in the power equipment industry for 100 years and in snow blowers you always use 5 20 W oil. The W was for winter . Yes the clearances are not as tight as a modern engine but still they are not very different. Another thing, one year Ford says to use 10 30 oil. The next year it says to use 5 20. Nothing changed in engine design or clearances so why change oil? That is why I believe it is all for fuel economy and nothing else. How many people out there agree with what I just said? Do all of you only use 5 20 and no one uses anything else? I find that hard to believe.........

8. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Duncan Kimbro likes this.
  9. Rkb53

I guess Im just stubborn. After 65 years of using one oil, I just want to stick to what Im use to. Also my last Ford was a 69 Boss 429 which I wish I still had, but time moves on. So this 4.6 is very different from what I'm use to. Thanks for the article. Some interesting reading ahead.