Price of Tracs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H D

Reaction score
Are they appreciating or are people just out of their minds lately? Both generations, I'm seeing people asking ridiculous prices. Nearly double their worth on some of the 1st generation trucks. Is it just me?

You ask what you can get. I wouldn't sell mine unless you buy me another truck I want. My truck is paid for and I don't look forward to making payments again.

Don't know that they're appreciating, but they could be depreciating slower. The used car market is hot in most parts of the country, has been for several years. MSRP on my 08 STA was $34,800. I bought it from CarMax two years ago with 17K miles for $26K. Not intending to sell at this time (now at 55K miles) but if I did it'd go for better than the average bear. [Broken External Image]:

Most dealers around here have 1st gen tracs with 160k+ listed for anywhere between 7-9 grand depending on the options! I think that is a lot but I never see them on the lots very long so they must be getting them. I bought mine with 130,000 miles for $6k only issue with mine is there were a few surface scratches.

Actually, they are appreciating. And people are getting what they want for them too. Since Ford doesn't make then anymore and there isn't anything like it in the market, people who love/want them are willing to pay to get their hands on one.

I have a 2001 with 240,000 miles on it. So I thought I might take a look around since she's getting older and I'd like another one. After making numerous calls, emails and talking to salesman the demand is their. My wife just purchased a 2014 Escape last night. And I mentioned to the salesman that I have a Sport Trac and he said they have a list of people to call if one get's traded in and they won't buy anything else. He said if I was willing to sell it, he'd give me good money towards a new vehicle. If I could drive something else, it'd consider it but I love my truck... I just can't let it go yet...

Prices for Sport Tracs and decent 2nd gen Explorers are well over the prices shown in the price guides. When I bought my '02 Sport Trac at Christmas 2012, and for several months after, almost every 1st gen ST on the lots was priced at $7995 with 100,000 to 133,000 miles. The one I bought had 63,850 miles, and I paid $11,000. It was a salvage title, but other than a couple of flaws in the repaint, it could pass for an untouched, well cared for, original. Very nice truck that drives as nice and tight as the day it rolled out of the factory.

I like the '02 so much I bought an '01 this spring to replace our dying '94 EX. In fact it died the day after I made the deal for the '01 ST. It's a little rough, but well optioned (unlike the '02), but that's ok as it's meant to be the "spare" vehicle for the whole family to drive, and it's nice to have one I don't have to be careful with. I paid $3300 for it, knowing it needed some front end work. I have since paid Midas about $3800 to pretty much rebuild the front end and to replace the rear axle seal, bearings, brakes, etc. (The seal on one side failed, and had everything inside the drum covered in oil.) I drive it more than the '02 partly because I have $7000 in it and couldn't sell it for that, and partly to save the wear and tear on the nicer '02.

I plan to be the last owner the '02 ever has, and it could be the last vehicle I buy myself, which is why I was willing to spend more for a nice truck with low miles. I'll be 59 next month, so I plan to drive it a long, long, time.

Latest posts