Power Steering Shudder

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My 2010 Limited 4x4 V8 Trac with 27,000 miles is starting to shudder at times when steering at low speeds, like parking spaces, etc. The fluid is full and looks very clean. I remember that earlier Tracs had the issue and installing an Explorer power steering pump was the answer, but I thought that after 2008 or so, the pumps were all upgraded.

Any info or thoughts?

Also, just noticed that two of the OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains are down to the wear bars. At least they lasted a bit longer than the ones on my 2007 Trac, which were bald at 22k. Sigh.. I really don't need to pay for a new set of tires right now...:cry:

Maybe change the belt? I don't think the pump is the culprit..... Also do you have the AC on when this happens? try it with out the AC...

Todd Z

Ditto on Todd's suggestion to check/replace serp belt. I'd change out the PS fluid. If you want the pump to run cooler and quieter, use AMSOIL Signature Series or OE ATF. Either one will work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
at 60K i am gonna change out my Gen 2 fluid. The 2003 will be done ina few months, gotta do the big 120K service !!

Todd Z

Gavin, I have a set of brand new Michelins I will sell you cheap. They were take offs from my 07 and have been in the rafters of my garage since new. I have been hanging onto them in case I ever wanted to trade the Trac on a new one. Ford doesn't seem to want my business anymore so I doubt I will ever use them.

Blaksn8k, I recall talking to you about them when I needed to replace the tires on my '07 Limited. Seems you pulled them off pretty quick after buying your Trac, and you put on some All Terrains. How are the All Terrains holding up for you? I love them, but BF Goodrich sure is proud of them!

To be honest, I would love to take the Michelins and use them (to get them off your hands and help my poor self) and pay you what they are worth (not what Michelin thought they were worth!). However, shipping them or picking them up seems to be a problem. If you can think of something, I am all ears. I would be happy to pay you a fair price for them- which I am not sure what that means- probably a couple of hundred bucks or so?) because they will give me a couple years of decent service. I saw last year that Michelin has discontinued the Cross Terrains and is now pushing the Latitude Tours.

My best alternative (price, performance, and durability) appears to be BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A radials for $175 ea., and I know they will last about three times the OEM Michelins.

Let me know if you think we can figure out a doable deal on your tires. Thanks.

Latest posts