power steering fluid dark and poor performance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILL E

Reaction score
My power steering fluid is 'dark'. Is this normal? I had the stealership flush the system about 2 years ago. The steering works fine except it sometimes seems to 'wobble'. Not violent but noticeable.

I am not going to pay them to do it again. The truck has 90K miles on it. (gen 2, v8, 4wd)

Flushing can be done by most vehicle owners. The return hose can be disconnected and run into a jug of some sort. Your system probably needs a good cleaning and has a sticky valve in it. Is the pump groaning or loud when turning? Drain about a quart of fluid (from the power steering system) and put some motor flush in it. Start the vehicle and let it cycle through, turning the wheel every couple of minutes. 5 to 10 minutes should be enough. Drain the system completely. You can use conventional mercon fluid to help flush out the old fluid. Then fill the system with mercon V fluid. It has more friction modifier in it and will help to quiet the pump down. It will also reduce sticking and pressure surges in the system...

remember- your ST uses automatic transmission fluid for the power steering fluid. It is red. Not clear like most power steering fluids. It will turn a little dark. But that does not nessisarily mean it is bad. Shine a flashlight down in there or "turkey baste a little out a look at it. Smell it. If it smells burnt. Change it. In general the reccommened interval is 2-3 years. But, I dont belive Ford reccomends it at all. At least not in there manuals. Unless you have a whine/groan like Calahan mentioned its probably fine.

Like Eddie said. Have you inner and outer tie rod ends checked. Actually, have the entire front end checked. Wobbling is not good!

Can you describe the "wobble" a little better? Could also be unbalanced tires,loose lugs nut(yikes!)ect..

Your wobble issue is nor related to the PS fluid.

The wobble is not constant. Seems to happen more when I first start driving. The steering wheel wants to move back and forth in my hands. Slow speeds only.

I do need tires, I should probably do that first and if that doesn't fix it, get the front looked at before I wear out the new tires. The old tires look like they are worn pretty even.

The truck has 90K miles on it, is that about the normal amount before tie rods wear?

Will,

As previously stated...I doubt that the steering wobble is caused by the dark fluid, but the old fluid needs to be flushed and replaced with new fluid.

The wobbling in the steering is likely tie rod ends or loose/worn wheel bearings. There is not mileage limit on tie rods or wheel bearings. I think Ford makes them to last through the warranty, but that does not always happen..:grin:

...Rich

Latest posts