Power Rear Window Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
A few days ago while I was traveling on the interstate I put the power rear window in the "vent" position. In other words, it is not in the full down position but only open about 1 1/2 ". At the end of the trip I attempted to close the window but there was no response when I tried to close or fully open the window using the overhead console mounted switch. I have also tried the "reset" procedure of disconnecting the battery for ten minutes but there was no change.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what was the fix? Thanks.

BTW, I also verified that the fuse and power relay are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't heard of any gen 2 window issues yet. Double check fuses, Maybe remove back panel and check connections and test wires for power.

OR have some one push up on the window as you hit the switch, maybe a dead spot in motor.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd.

On the fuse issue, according to the owners manual, the same 5A fuse in the underdash panel controls the moonroof and the power rear window. The moonroof functions properly so I don't believe it is a fuse problem. The power relay box in the engine compartment has a separate 20A relay for the rear window. It was only about $4 for a new one so I replaced it but that didn't work either so I am pretty sure it is not a fuse or relay problem.

I also found this on page 75 of the owners manual:

Position recovery mode

If the motor loses position and stops mid travel, the motor will respond

to switch inputs by moving 0.6 in. (15 mm) each switch command in the

up direction only. Down will be a one touch down operation. If the

window is stalled in the down position and there are no other system

faults, the motor shall relearn its position and resume full functionality. If

there is a feedback signal loss, the window will remain in its 0.6 in.

(15 mm) travel mode with each switch command and will not recover

full functionality. This will allow you to ?inch? the window up to the fully

closed position. If the window does not operate correctly, see your dealer

for service.

As I stated in the original post I had previously removed the negative battery cable for ten minutes but that didn't seem to make any difference. However, after reading that info in the manual today I just went out and sure enough I was able to "inch" the window closed by repeatedly hitting the switch. As a matter of fact, I could stop it in just about any position up or down which would be a pretty nice feature if they had programmed it that way. What is interesting is that this happened several days ago but just hitting the switch didn't do squat until after disconnecting the battery. That is not mentioned in the manual.

Anyway, after moving the window to the fully closed position I shut the truck off and then when I restarted it the window wouldn't go up or down. But at least now it seems to be stuck in the fully closed position which is better than getting wet inside when it rains. I just disconnected the battery cable again so now I am hoping it will relearn the proper functionality when I reconnect it.

No dice. Still stuck in the closed position but at least now I know it is not a motor or fuse problem and I can drive it in the rain again. Maybe it just takes more time to "relearn"????

Hmmm. After re-reading the last part of that section of the manual I think it may have suffered a "feedback signal loss" which means it probably will not recover full functionality on it's own.

"If there is a feedback signal loss, the window will remain in its 0.6 in.

(15 mm) travel mode with each switch command and will not recover

full functionality. This will allow you to ?inch? the window up to the fully

closed position. "

That part seems to match where it is now.

After reading the response on the linked website I think the problem could be either a bad ground or a bad switch. Granted, this response was written for a gen 1 Trac but it sounds like the major differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 as far as the power rear window are the type of switch and where it is located. It sounds like the window and its motor function about the same.

The next step will probably be to remove the interior panel below the window and check the ground connections. It would not surprise me if that were the issue since I did have the typical leak around the third brake light housing which could have caused some corrosion issues and the truck is 10 1/2 years old.

I was able to get to the motor and the wiring and could not find any issues there. Dry as a bone and no signs of any corrosion anywhere. The ground connection was also clean but I did run the bolt out, checked the condition of the end connection and then reassembled it just to make sure it was getting a solid ground.

However, I did discover that the outside weather stripping seal was loose and hanging by one end down inside the cab. Unfortunately, it cannot be pushed back into its track without lowering the window all the way down and that isn't possible because the window is in the closed position and won't move at all. I doubt the seal is the culprit although I suppose there is a remote possibility that it could have jammed the window and caused the motor to overheat. That might have caused it to stop but I was able to run the motor afterwards in short steps to get the window closed.

I guess I need to break out the multi-meter and start checking wires for power while someone operates the switch...

Rodger, if you read my second post you will see that I did replace the relay in the box under the hood. That did not solve the problem.

The window has been stuck in the closed position ever since I was able to get it from the vent position into the closed position. I believe the only thing I can do now is have a dealer service dept look at it as it seems to have suffered a "signal feedback loss", whatever that is.

Gen 1 2001 sport Trac rear window issue. My rear window will not respond at all. I have checked power from the switch and it's getting all the correct volts when moving the switch in each position. I have also tried to reprogram

Former owner states he replaced motor. bought one more new motor gonna try and install over the week.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as to possible issus.