Portable DVD player recommendations?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve McKellop

Reaction score
My wife wants a portable DVD player for Christmas. It will be used very little mobile so this is mainly for home use. Of course bigger is better, 9" to 10" ...... talking screen size here! :lol: Some say LCD and some don't. Is LCD the better choice? So far I am looking at Sony & RCA. There appear to be some decent ones for around $150. Any other highly recommended brands to consider? I'm looking for suggestions from those of you that have these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if looking for "bigger screen is better", for mostly around home use, and close to $200, then I would consider a cheap laptop instead.

However, if really stuck for a portable DVD player, I recommend reading the reviews on Amazon from several and go from there.

TJR

Try the link. They have the best prices and excellent service. Buy all my computer parts and electrnics here. Very fast shipping also.

There are good prices on newegg! Thanks!

Tom, my wife is not very technologically blessed and she has central serous retinopathy, thus her wanting a DVD player to use up close. She's being treated for that and is improving but does still have difficulty seeing.

Non LCD portable DVD player? I've never seen a Plasma portable DVD player.

Viewing in direct sunlight, viewing angle, and battery life are important, as well.

Also check CNET for reviews. As Tom (TJR) says, you may consider a small notebook.

Okay, notebooks/laptops are something I've never become familiar with. They will play DVD movies and CD/MP3's? Make me a suggestion or two so I can check them out.

Thanks!

Steve- I'm not a computer guru, by any means. Just make sure it has an "optical drive", meaning it has "built in" capability to play CD, DVD, etc. Many have an optional "external" drive. Don't think you want that. From what I've seen, battery life varies between 3 to 10 hours, depending on screen settings. Brightness, contrast, etc. Do some homework, internet reviews make it easy.

After looking, few small notebooks with optical drive. Expensive too. Probably better buying a dedicated portable DVD. Check Amazon. Panasonic or Sony 9", for under $140, shipped. Good luck.

Latest posts