Picked up switches, please help on wiring for In-Dash DVD! SEE PICS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I have everything in, and the last thing that I need to connect is the wire for the following:

Emergency Brake

Brake Pedal

Where do I find these wires, what colors? Please Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
i would just put these to either a constant (-) or constant (+) which ever the indash is. they just put these there so that you cant watch dvd while the truck is in any other gear other then park. so on ur installation book look for what polarity those wires are and connect to it a constant (+) or (-). let me know if this is confusing

Well I just heard on other forums that you cant just do somethign like this with alpine units... there is a special 3 way switch that you need to activate video... brake, ebrake, brake or something (havent read the book yet) but if that doesnt happen in that order it wont go on, so I am stuck wiring it correctly until I get that unit...

i just ran a power line to mine. works all the time and i love it. you should be able to run that line only cause it needs just a power line

There are 2 wires. This deck supposedly HAS to have a certain series of actions on the wires to make it work properly, not just constant power...

So I really need to know where to locate these wires :(

the brake line should be going out from the brake pedal, not sure of the color, but should be at the top of it sorry i couldn't help more

Maybe try to install toggle or push buttons in line to those two wires so that by switching them on in a certain order, you can fool the system into thinking you have parked and are

setting the parking brake! My guess to the order would be as follows, for most units I

have seen or installed:

* Push brake pedal;

* Set parking brake within (X) seconds, or before releasing brake pedal;

* Release brake pedal to activate screen/system, etc., for viewing.

This is done on a two wire safety/trigger as you have said that you have.

Bypass and directions;

* Connect the +/brake wire to a momentary push button switch (normally off, or open

circuit type), and then to a positive wire from truck;

* Connect the -/e-brake wire to the toggle switch, as this has to mimic the parking

brake remaining on the entire time (don't want a momentary switch for this one!).

can hook other terminal of toggle to negative wire or frame ground.

"Fool the Computer Mode";

* Push momentary switch/button and hold while;

* Flipping toggle switch to the on (grounded) position;

* Release momentary button (positive signal).

Computer thinks you hav hit the brake pedal, set the parking brake, released the

brake pedal, and are safely parked.

:p

Oh, and I hope you didn't have to hook up a VSS (vehicle speed sensor wire),

as that would throw this whole plan out the window! As it senses an input, and overrides

my previous suggestion. Haven't seen one of these yet, but I've heard that they are out

there. If you do find that yours has the VSS interface, let me know, and i have a way to

trick that little sensor into behaving, as well! But for now I will not make this post

any longer!

:)

This is how mine is hooked up:

I've got the brake wire hooked to a momentary switch, with the other side of the switch going to a switched +12. The parking brake wire I've got to a regular flip-flop toggle switch, and then to a switch +12V. When you want to watch a movie, or even access certian menus, Press and hold the momentary switch, flip the toggle on, then off, then release the momentary. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Takes a second to do.

Tiger, good suggestion, but a "Ghost in the Machine" type question...

From my experience, aren't most parking brake switches/sensors set up on a

negative ground circuit or trigger? Allmost all that I have ever seen are of the negative

switch type. You said "toggle to a +12v". Have I learned someting new tonight?!?!

(XST, please bear with us, we are experiencing momentary technical difficulties!).

:cool:

I dont know if indash would be different, but for my flip down to work on my JVC CD/DVD HU, I grounded my emergency break wire, so it fools it so I can have it running. If I remember right, emergency break was Green.

Boodro

Not sure trac, lol. I did the install more then a year ago, and since I haven't had a need to rewire it, I'm not sure which way it's supposed to be. Whatever the manual says the parking brake wire needs to be attached to, negative or positive. If nothing, hook it to a ground, try it, if it works, dandy; if not, hook it to a positive and try it. If it still doesn't work, you've got a different problem.

XST,

is it an Alpine player you are installing. If so you will need to purchase a bypass module that will allow u to use the DVD player while driving. If u hook the wires to the e-brake u will not be able to watch movies or music videos while driving.

Jason

XST,

I just read your other post and u state that u have the iva 310. I have installed several of the 310's in other vehicles and the w200 in my own ST. For all the installs I have used the tr-7 module by PAC to bypass the e-brake. It is an easy install. I purchased mine at my local car audio store. I have attached a link to an ebay sale of the module.

Jason

XST,

At the risk of seeming precocious (Y'all get out your Webster's, now!), try my above

post/directions first, as it seems that we are at a default, on general opinion, as to how to

do this!

My Master N.I.A.S.E. (Commonly referred to , nowadays, as just A.S.E. Certified)

Degree tells me that I am correct.

I work in this capacity, every day at G.M., as a Quality Control Technician, and am currently

certified as a 36-72 Volt Hybrid/Combined Electrical Quality Engineer Liason/Inspector.

I am also one of only nine people currently certified at my plant as all of the above,

plus an I.S.O. 9004 Certification.

tracnblack I love you... LOL... Wow. Im very pleased to meet you, thats impressive.

I think I will listen to pretty much anything you will ever tell me hahahahaha...

Ill see how it goes tomorrow.

Thank you very much ;)

Tracnblack or anyone that knows for sure what type of switches he is pertaining to in his tutorial ....

I dont know anythign about switches... and I want to be sure I get the right 2 switches.

Can someone tell me the technical names for those 2 switches?

Thank you.

You'll need a normally closed, momentary switch for the foot brake, and a SPST (single pole, single throw) toggle switch for the e-brake. You can get them at Radio Shack, just look at the package of the switch to see what type it is. If anything, ask someone who works there. There is no need for any module, use of two switches is all you need.

Okay, thanks a ton.

I have located the way that the security is disabled... Does this method still work with this?

It states:

Come to a stop, with foot on brake, engage e-brake, release e-brake, activate e-brake once again while letting off the foot pedal brake...

I picked up a few different kind of switches for this....

Can someone tell me with the pics below what combo I should use, and how to I know which terminal to wire the power and stereo wires to? They are not really labelled anything...

Thanks!

ADDING PICS, BRB ;)

Okay, pics added, here is the insructions in the manual and the buttons that i have on hand for the bypass...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

So obviously id like to use the 2 red ones if thats possible, since they match, but if I cant I cant.. no big deal.

Also how do I know which terminals get the + from the battery wire and which get the wires from the dvd player???

Thanks so much whoever can help me out!

Last edited by a moderator: