performance exhaust any ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a kazbor

Reaction score
im thinking of putting in an aftermarket exhaust system.

i have a 2004 sport trac xlt 4.0L

i wanted something that sounds good, not to loud and not to quiet, not like the crappy honda civics out there with cherry bombs

but my main concern is fuel efficiency, and then power also a reliable brand and product.

any ideas ?

anyone done an exhaust install and got a good outcome?

thanks

I personally like the Magnaflow stuff. Its usually made from stainless steel. Its proven to be pretty durable as far as I'm concerned. Have heard from other members that if you remove the resonator box(before the muffler) and use a good quality muffler, your sound level goes up and there is some noticeable "seat of the pants" improvement. Worth a shot. Bob

Resonator is behind the muffler Bob. :grin:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I realy like my 2 1/2" cat back magna-flow. very good sound. Deep and not raspy. Only at WOT and higher rpms, does it give away, that you are a V6. But the sound is still good. The drone in the cab is pleasant. Not annoying like baffle design performance mufflers. Flow-master, etc.

The sound is in no way. Like the coffee can mufflers on 4 banger hotrods...LOL

I also rerouted the side dump round tip. I used an oval shaped tip to the rear. The sound changed to a better deeper sound. The shape of some tips, can make alot of difference, in sound. Rear dumping made it better in the cab.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people not like CherryBombs lol i had some on my 05 Trac and got complimented a lot...

had a flowmasters 40, but it wasnt loud enough, so i swapped it out for CherryBomb Extreme and was way happier...

I went with a single in - dual out setup through a flowmaster super 44 muffler. I get compliments everywhere. I had it custom installed at my local muffler shop for 300, including installation and all the parts.

Want to change to dual exhausts but curious about the oxygen sensor. Do I have to install identical setup on the other side exhausts? Not in CA. Can I remove the cat converter or is that going to cause performance problem.

Not sure if I can legally remove it but have yet to see police looking underneath vehicles to write tickets and we dont have inspections to get tags in AR.

mark said:
Want to change to dual exhausts but curious about the oxygen sensor. Do I have to install identical setup on the other side exhausts? Not in CA. Can I remove the cat converter or is that going to cause performance problem.

Not sure if I can legally remove it but have yet to see police looking underneath vehicles to write tickets and we dont have inspections to get tags in AR.

As long as the O2 sensors are in about the same place as stock I don't see why it would cause a problem.

It has been said here that the Random Technology Y-Pipe that eliminates the two smaller pre-cats right below the manifolds will still pass emissions and not throw a code as long as you leave the bigger single cat in place (or replace it with a hi-flow cat).

Realistically a 4.0 doesn't flow that much air that it needs true duals, actually you'll probably lose torque, plus if your Trac is a 4x4 then you're not getting another pipe on the other side of the transfer case anyway.

Latest posts