Pep Boys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
So I had to make a run to pepboys because my PCV valve is dead, and as I walk up to the door, someone begs me for money, trying to "persuade" me to give him gas money because I need to "share the money", whatever that meant.

He had 2 bucks on him, so he said, whereas I only had 75 cents. He should have been giving me money. Seriously, every time I go to any pepboys in the area, there is always some dropout begging for free money. Is this just my local pepboys?

(Maybe I'm a bit jaded because I spent a month in vancouver, bc, where beggars are everywhere and have no restraint, but I doubt it)

More to a point, just for grins I asked the parts counter guy for a PCV valve for my 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, and he told me that my vehicle did not have a pcv valve....somehow I doubt that, since Fast Parts Network sent me a nice new one that is currently in my garage ;)

Yeah, I used to feel sorry for these guys...

But after picking them up on the street day in and day out while at work and taking advantage of the system, now when they approach me I either avoid them altogether or I ask them to give me money :D

What really bugs me are the one's who hold up signs with some lame story about being stranded or being a veteran and needing money.

Why don't they go and hold a sale sign up for some furniture store and make money while doing that rather than hold a sign up bumming for money?

Sad though cuz these bums make it hard for those who really genuinely need assistance.

I ran across one the other day that was actually Honest I think.

Standing in the median of the road, his sign said:please help, I need a beer, he got a buck from me.

A local news person did a story on some of these people that beg for money, only to find out that some of them own really nice houses out in the suburbs. They dress the part of being the bum and they drive their car down to North Mpls and walk a few blocks to an off ramp and start begging. I guess they can pull up to 6 figures a year and its not taxed either....I think I'm in the wrong business:wacko:

I think I'm in the wrong business

I agree--in Vancouver I watched a young guy who was skateboarding in the streets stop at a corner, tuck his skateboard under his arm, and hold out a Big Gulp cup and beg for change. My friend and I said that if he needed money as badly as he said, why didn't he part with the skateboard? So we just walked on by.

About an hour later, we came back to the same intersection, with the same guy standing in the same spot, still with skateboard tucked under arm, only now his big gulp cup was up to the brim.

Just for a reference, I put 30 bucks of quarters into a big gulp cup myself, and it didn't even fill the cup up halfway (the smallest big gulp that 7-11 sells, btw). Considering that Canadians are handing out 1 & 2 dollar coins, that guy was loaded.

Some teacher did a study on this a while back. For research he dressed up as a bum and started begging. He came up big by the end of his research. Turns out beggars can make a pretty dollar.

When I see a beggar or transient, I wonder how they got themselves in that predicament. Broken family, addiction, mental instability, or just lazy.

Yeah the are lot of panhandlers here in Vancouver. A friend of mine offered one of the regulars outside the local liquor store a job and he was offended, his answer "This is my job". Some are drug addicts, some are mentally ill, some are just idlers, many come from other parts of Canada to Vancouver and Victoria because of our relatively warm winters. Another contributing variable is the fact that in Canada we have replaced our $1 and $2 bills with coins. This means when someone digs into their pocket for change they often pull out something larger than a quarter. They are a nuisance but they are harmless compared to others who support themselves through criminal activities. Once in a while when I sense one is mentally handicapped I will give something but normally it's best to just ignore them.

If someone comes up to me wanting "gas money", I offer them something better. I tell them I will fill their tank...for free.

So far, I have never had a taker. They walk off saying "God bless you but I do not want to inconvience you, have a good day".

Problem solved. If they needed gas, they would accept it.

Guess they don't need gas.

Maybe some MD 20/20, Wild Irish Rose, or Colt 45, but I won't buy them that.

Tom

LOL Tom, I do the SAME thing, OR at the drive through they want money for food....

I say what combo meal do you want...

They normally walk away...

LOL

Todd Z

Standing in the median of the road, his sign said:please help, I need a beer, he got a buck from me.

:lol:Mr B! I would have done what you did! Heck he deserved a 6 pack!

I offer them something better. I tell them I will fill their tank...for free.

I too, do the same as You and Todd Z, Tom--IT DOES Bring out the honesty in those people! :lol:

Latest posts