Passenger Side Valve Train Noise VIDEO

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Excuse my camera "work", I needed three hands. Rattle is intermittent and only happens at idle speed when the engine is at operating temperature. NEVER rattles at start up, or at the known 2500-3000 RPM range under load indicating timing chain guide issues. New rear hydraulic tensioner has been primed and installed with the OE Ford (7U3Z6K254A) replacement. I've read it could possibly be cam follower/lifter noise, but that sounds more rhythmic with a sharper ticking sound from the videos I've heard. I understand removing the valve cover is the only way to be sure, I just want to have an idea what to expect when I open it up. Stethoscope probe is touching the rear of the valve cover with one ear piece against the built in microphone on the camera beginning at 32 seconds. ST has 78,000 miles, is driven very gently using only NAPA full synthetic (Valvoline Synpower) 5W-30, and FL-820S filters replaced at less than 4000 mile intervals since I drive less than that every year. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping for the best and wasn't planning on my 5.0L V8 (302) conversion this early.

Steve, with luck you might find a colapsed lifter or loose rocker arm. Not sure if the cam has to be pulled. If you want I can look in my manuals.

Thanks Eddie, I have the Ford Workshop Manual. Not a believer, or ever used engine oil additives, but just drained one quart of recently changed oil, and added a 32 oz. bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment. Drove about 15 minutes at highway speed and parked it. Not expecting much for $7, but I'll find out after more time idling and driving.

Eddie, looks like I may have dodged a bullet. After draining one quart of oil, I added 32 ounces of non concentrated Rislone engine treatment. Noise was gone after idling five minutes. Wow! No idea what caused the rattle, but was preparing for the worst being a rear timing chain guide requiring engine removal. Rislone recommends leaving it in the engine, but I'll probably change oil and filter around 100 miles as a precaution. I'm making a 30 mile round trip to Costco today. Stopping by NAPA to take advantage of their sale that ends on 9/30 for 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum for $22.99 + $10 mail in or on line rebate. First time in years I'll be using something other than NAPA full synthetic (Valvoline Synpower). Sticking with the time proven Motorcraft FL-820S though. Thanks, I'll keep posted.

Last edited:
Cool....Might have been a stuck lifter. I have had that before on other motors. Additives were the resolution for me also.

Latest posts