Painting Panels

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
Hey everyone so I have been wanting to paint my Gray body panels on my 03' black, the same as the rest of my truck. My question is, what paint should i get. Rustoleum? is there a regular car paint? and is there a upkeep with the paint like would i have to re-paint it once a year or once in 5 years? does it fade if i wash it? Any suggestions would be appreciated to. Thanks everyone.

I used Duplicolor bumper paint to recoat my gray bumpers and trim on my 03. I would not use it again, only lasted about a year and I made sure I prepped the plastic correctly prior to spraying. It faded and peeled in some small areas.

Take a look at krylon fusion spray paint. I believe that is for plastic, but do not know how it will look or last

Greg

Kyle M. ... I make notes from the site from time to time for future reference & my last note was about another member recommending Krylon Fusion spray paint too. He was saying it was made for painting plastic. I wrote down also that he recommended to wipe w/acetone first as far as prep. If I remember correctly that particular member had used in on their fading interior door panels where the sun fades it [up @ the top near the glass on our doors]. I know the top of my grey upper door panels on my '01 ST are faded somewhat from the sunlight & I thought I might try it someday. While I know you were inquiring more so about the cladding on our ST's, they are plastic too. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Rust-oleum paint for plastic ,it has a little sheen but I coated much of my faded trim at the beginning of last summer and it still looks good .I also cleaned it with acetone first . It didn't take much paint and it was very inexpensive to do.

I have used SEM color coat professionally for years. Very durable and does not change the sheen of the plastic, and will work on many different types of plastics/urethanes.... And there are tons of colors. And you can buy it all over the internet.
Another quality product is called Color Bond. Again, many colors and does not change the sheen of the plastics. I believe LMC truck sells it, or just google either product.
Take your time and degrease ANY panel to be coated with alcohol or acetone, or wax and grease remover before coating. Both products will last years, plus help to protect the plastic from UV damage. I do a minimum of 2 coats. Usually I do 3 if I’m changing the color of the part.
Finally, almost any store that mixes auto paint should also be able to mix factory matching trim paint for your paint gun if you are changing the color of an entire interior.
I would only use Krylon Fusion for arts and crafts, if you can help it.

On my green gen 1 I did adhesion promoter, High build primer, then coats of PPG single stage, its held up for over 19 years and is still shiny..... Up to you what you use....

Latest posts