P0401... EGR or DPFE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I got the P0401 error. Any ideas on if it is the EGR valve or the DPFE? I am hoping it is the DPFE because it looks easy to install, but EGR is all over the troubleshooting guide. My ST has 194,000 miles on it, so hopefully it will narrow it down.

Thanks for any input guys.

Tommy

[Broken External Image]:

Just a word from experience. I thought my EGR elbow was fine. Replaced the DPFE sensor. Still got P0401. I took the hose off. It was cracked on the bottom. Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a very common problem with the early Gen-1 V6 Sport Tracs. In most cases it was found to be the DPFE sensor, but it can also be the line/hose either clogged or leaking, or like the read-out indicates, and of the parts associated with the EGR could have failed.

Depending upon your mileage and your plans to keep the vehicle, I would probably just replace all DPFE valve, the EGR valve, and the associated hoses and pipes...and you will probably resolve the current problem and prevent future problems. If you do the work yourself, it should cost you about $100 for parts, maybe less?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Good call Mark, all I did was look at it and make sure it was connected. I didn't see the back of the hoses, so there may be a crack or hole or something.

Thanks for the info guys. I think you are right Richard, I think I will go ahead and replace everything just to be sure. The bummer part is that I just got some parts from Torrie that I ordered. Wish I could have put these on the same invoice.

Appreciate it guys.

Tommy

It cracks along the bottom, where you cannot see it until you take it off.

I replaced mine with a piece of formed thermostat bypass hose, much lower cost than the factory part, and fiber reinforced.

I got same code. I replaced the DPFE in 5 minutes and the check engine light went out the next day. $46

Latest posts