Overhead console

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POJ Irving

Reaction score
Thanks to the members who have posted the wiring instructions on the notice board for installing the overhead console in the explorer including installing your our harness. I have a 02 ST, Manual shift, 4x2 , love it,so far it has been great, but I would love to install an overhead console. I noticed that in the front of my truck there is a temperature sensor already installed and the wires are running into the loom. I have tried but without any success to tracing this wiring. Does anyone out there know if the sensorcomes standard on all the ST and where does the wire terminate? Thanks for any help given.

The plug itself is standard on all STs, but you might want to see if there is an actual sensor plugged into it. It's shaped like a cone. As for tracing the wires, I'm not sure where they go, but there's got to be a plug somewhere near the dash so the factory harness could go up the A pillar. I personally cut both wires in the engine bay, then spliced in my own wires going to a harness I made to plug into the console. Check my library. There's no pictures of the wiring in the A pillar, but there are pictures from my console install that might help you.

Thanks Larry, I will check further to see exact what is plugged in the front. From some examination and from your description, I belive it may be the actual sensor. I did in fact pull the cover off the left pillar last night ,removed the sun-visor and some of the roof molding and the only wires that were present, were those for the lights in the middle and back of the roof. If you dont mind I may have to borrow a few ideas from your pics.

Great library by the way,

Last edited by a moderator: