Overhead console wiring standard?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Thomas 2

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to head to the junk yard to pick one up. In the projects section it talks about getting the console, the mounting bracket, and the sensor. Does this mean Ford wired all tracs with the harness under the headliner? Did a search, but couldn't come up with this answer.

No they didn't, unfortunately.:cry: My '01 had the console but my '02 doesn't. I've had the headliner out of my '02 and the wiring there is for the dome lamps only.

I can send you the wiring schematics if you need them though

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be easier/quickest; Build my own harness, or snake the one out of the junk yard trac?

From what I've seen/remember the interior wiring plugs into the main harness behind the parking brake assy. That section also has the wiring for both dome lights. You'll probably need to make most of your own harness for simplicities sake. Get whatever part of the OEM wiring you can the overhead console is part of the "Convenience Group" option wiring harness, as is the console mounted HVAC/Radio controls.

There's an add-on installation in the PROJECTS section.

I may have to retract my statement about them being pre-wired for the console. Looking at the diagrams for the 2005 model it is completely different from my '01 & '02, so it may be. Your wiring comes up the left rear corner from the floor, mine the left windshield post. IDK ! I was going to post this wiring or put it in my library but I'll just e-mail it to you since it's several pages. I put the schematic in there but not all of the connector locations and pin-outs.

Also, the other reason I questioned the harness being there, is that I have the wiring to plug in the sensor behind the radiator. Or do all tracs have that?

SilverBirch05,

Let me know if your '05 is prewired or not, when you find out for sure. I also have an '05, and have thought about adding an overhead console. If it is prewired, that would be so awesome:supercool:

Update, snagged a nice package on eBay for $24 had an overhead console, temp sensor, mounting bracket, and a small section of the wiring harness. I hope to install this in the next week or so. will let you know about the pre-wiring.

Also, the other reason I questioned the harness being there, is that I have the wiring to plug in the sensor behind the radiator. Or do all tracs have that?
My '02 has the ambient temperature wiring behind the radiator