Overdrive short

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUT

Reaction score
I started the ST this afternoon and shifted to reverse, the truck moved about 2 feet and shut off. Smoke was coming from the steering column around the upper cover. I disconnected the battery I pulled the column apart and found the wire from the shift lever was shorted against the column and had burnt in two. the wire feeds into the shift lever and I assume to the O/D button.
Further investigation lead me to the connector at the base of the column where the wire connects to the harness. From that point on the wiring looks good, no signs of being burnt or melted.
I disconnected the wire at the harness end and reconnected the battery. I tried to start the truck, turning the ignition switch but had nothing. The starter does not engage, all the gauges and lights work with the exception of the turn signals, flashers work though.
My question is what is down stream from the over drive switch, I'm thinking perhaps neutral safety switch or some other safety device? Did It damage the PCM? I thought that it would at least turn over if not start, just unplugging the O/D shouldn't keep the truck from starting.
Any ideas?

Have to clear the short, Tape the wires and check fuses.... the PCM is fuse protected... Chances are youll find a blown fuse...

The PCM fuse is very low amp. 5amp if I remember. But that is the one that feeds the OBD2 connector. There is another larger one in the powerbox, under the hood.

Also there is a nuetral switch on the trans. It might have shorted or a wire from the column is not making contact to it.
DTR sensor.jpg
DTR sensor.jpg
DTR sensor.jpg

Attachments

• 2003 Shift Selector Cabel Adjustment.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Latest posts