Ouch! That hurts!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you ST members have seen the new Dodge Durango commercial where they hook up a brand new Explorer to the rear of the Durango and literally take off and drag the Explorer?:cry: Now that hurts! Ford has downsized the Explorer so much that it looks soft compared to the Durango. I will say that the Durango is much better looking than ever, but when I see that commercial I can't help but think of how FMC has given up to the competition. Only the Super Duty and the F-150 remain in the FMC truck catalog. Oh well, I still like the 08 and 09 STA's so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I do like the newer Charger though, but man I am really embarrassed by that commercial being a Ford enthusiast all my life! Oh well ...:btddhorse:

Unfortunately, the Durango is still a Dodge. And that means I won't even take the time to look at one.

Yeah, looks like Dodge is going after the new Explorer with a vengeance.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ASR4JXqhOXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:banghead:

That's embarassing....

However.... I'm not sure on the particulars of either of those vehicles, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it isn't quite THAT easy for the Durango to win a tug of war against the Explorer.

It could all be marketing gimics. IMO it appears as though the driver of the Explorer doesn't even try - wouldn't there be smoke coming from the tires if he was flooring it? And for that matter, would the AWD system of the new Ford kick in and get those rear wheels into action?

Again, I'm not familiar with the systems on the new Fords so maybe someone can actually answer those questions for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy in the Explorer just rode the break.....wasn't even on the gas so the force of the durango was greater than the breaking force of the Exploere...

Who cares? Don't fall for this crap.

It looked like it could have been a FWD Explorer with the traction control left on or something.

The way that went down...isn't reality.

It's odd that the front wheels aren't moving. Seems that the driver idle'd until the chain became tight and then just pressed the brakes. The tires must not have good tread either if the wheels are just locked up like that. Definately something fishy going on. You can never really trust any of the car commercials that pit their vehicle against another manufacturer. I'm sure if somebody really wanted to, they could have a Yugo do the same thing.

Heck, all they did is tighten the chain and the drag the Explorer. A strong enough garden tractor can pull a car across pavement. The Explorer driver probably just had his foot on the brake and there was probably a lot of loose material on the ground to prohibit traction. The rear tires never showed any resistance. Just another buls&%t commercial from Dodge.........

Wait till the explorer gets the turbo V6 and AWD. Might not be body on frame. But IMO it will be a match.

As others said the durango pulled the chain slack and the explorer locked the brakes.

ok lets look at this the durango rear wheel drive with a v8 option, fore explorer 3.5l v6 fwd or awd. i wonder why the dodge won.

ford does it again kill a good suv. looks like i am going the the expedition next.

Remember this one?

I agree that the tug of war was bogus.

The Explorer front wheels were locked which means the driver had his foot on the brake and was not making any effort to pull the Dodge. Unless the Explorer was bolted to the ground, I could probably pull the Explorer with any vehicle.

...Rich

I don't think the Explorer had its brakes on because the rear wheel seemed to be freely turning backwards. Only the front wheels were locked. The driver probably threw the tranny into Park and went along for the ride after the Durango dug in.

Uncle_Bob,

If he put it in Park the rear wheels would have been locked.

Most of the brake pressure goes to the front wheels since the front does about 70% of the braking (under normal conditions) You can put on the brakes enough to lock up the front wheels and the rear wheels can still turn. Pretty much what they do when they want to do a burn-out....Brakes on and hammer the throttle

I suspect that the Explorer was in Neutral or even Reverse with the brakes on and little or no power applied. If the Explorer were in drive at full power the rear wheels would have been spinning forward while being dragged backewards. The fact that the rear wheels on the Explorer where moving backwards without and smoking indicates to me that the Explorer was not offering any resistance except for the brakes.

Totally bogus test....I'm surpised that Ford is not going after Chrysler for it's phoney add.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
KL,

Good point. I forgot that the standard 2001 Explorer was FWD and AWD was the only option.

That would account for the outcome in the video. It also appears that the Dodgw was an AWD or 4X4...In either case it would have had twice the traction and i would be an unfair comparison test. I don't think it would be a fair test if the Dodge was RWD vs any FWD vehcle. I would suspect that the Max towing weight of the Explorer was dropped in 2011 when they went to FWD.

...Rich

We can look at this and any person with a bit of knowledge and general understanding of physics and automotive knowledge can see what has happened here and discount it for what it is..

However, sadly most of the world that sees this commercial will see it as it is presented and not think anymore about it other than to think the Durango is superior based on the footage provided. Somewhere a soccer mom is in a dealer with her husband looking at an Explorer, and she will turn it down because of this commercial she saw.

Latest posts