OT: Supreme Court decides Taxpayers CANNOT challege Bush's Faith-Based Charitable Orgs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that ordinary taxpayers cannot challenge a White House initiative that helps religious charities get a share of federal money.

The 5-4 decision blocks a lawsuit by a group of atheists and agnostics against eight Bush administration officials including the head of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

Here is the full report:

As long as any faith-based charity can apply for and be awarded grants, then the federal government is not establishing nor endorsing any particular religion; hence, not violating the constitution.

Once again we see a bunch of atheists and agnostics displaying their ignorance. Oy!!

I disagree--I think that any case that is strong enough that it can manage to get two or more dissenting votes from the Supreme Court is one that isn't based on ignorance, and likely raises a valid concern, even if it's in a losing effort, and was therefore worth trying. This case got four dissenting votes. To me, that's a pretty clear indication that it's not as ignorant as you think.

Tom (Caymen) will ride me for this ;) (because I read it in the paper) but what I read about it says all the funds were used or earmarked for the public good. Such things as substance abuse rehab, veterans housing, AIDs and other medical research and treatment. Things of that nature. I don't recall anywhere where it was used strictly to promote a particular religion.

That's where the ignorace comes in. Sometimes it's better just to get over it and realise that occasionally something is happening for the greater good.

I am an atheist by the way - even we are blinded by our "faith" sometimes ;):lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyO asks:
What happens when CAIR or Al-Quaida wants Federal grants?

I would only hope that Al-Quaida or radical Muslim groups tied to terrorism would have the balls to apply for the grants...it would make them easier to catch! ;)

TJR

Al Qaeda is not a religion - it's a group. Like the Boy Scouts. I'm not comparing the two.

Islam is a religion - I suspect they could do some good with some funds too :p

:lol: Yepper!! I guess the Taliban was/is faith based. So to is the Church of Scientology and the Wiccans.

True story: Many years ago I wanted dog tags with "Atheist" on them. The military would not make them and said I would have to have "No Pref". Which I did for many years. Eventually, when I needed another new set, I got them to provide me the list of government recognized religions. It was 8 pages, single spaced. What's that roughly, 400?? Anyway, Atheism was third from the bottom, above Agnostic, and I got my dog tags.

Point?? The atheists and the agnostics can get their share too. Don't bite the hand, use it.

What happens when CAIR or Al-Quaida wants Federal grants?

We already gave Al-Quaida money. :rolleyes:

Al-Quaida started back in the Afgan-USSR war. We gave them all kinds of things. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Latest posts