OT: Nike to drop Michael Vick

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen, you are on to something.

Then there is the "God's perfect plan" argument. Why are their rats? What purpose do they have? Yes, if rampant, they can cause carry disease and be a problem...but do they have any value? What is their purpose?

TJR

SST, baseballs, like many Nike shoes, are made out of leather. We kill cows for this purpose and it gives us pleasure, yet we could make baseballs and Nike shoes out of substances that animals wouldn't have to die for.

Michael Vick killed dogs for his pleasure.

We rationalize the difference, but at their core, they are all the same.

Man is at the top of the pyramid and we pick and choose what we kill and don't, beneath us, and somehow some of it is good, and some of it is bad. That's the arbitrary-ness to it that I see.

Does that mean I don't want to kill cows? Nope!

But it DOES mean that I see little difference, at its core, between killing a cow and killing a dog.

Vick, IMHO, and anyone else that kills an animal, should be charged with destruction of property, at worst, and if it is their own property, then they should be able to do with it as they like (okay...go ahead...chew on that a while).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add to your post TJR...(not trying to steal it i swear) If you injure or kill a police k9 you can get charged with assualt on a police officer or even worse depending on the severity of the particular crime.

And a special thank you to everyone that supports OUR military. Its hard to find true supporters these days with everyone trying to act like its the 60's and protesting just to do it. REGARDLESS of wether we should be there or not i would love to see more people supporting the troops. Please try to envision what would happen if we just pulled out of iraq and than let that country fend for itself. It would be come one large training camp for terrorists..

Some of you are funny in trying to sound like you want to be fair in saying that worms and rats are no different from a dog. Just because an animal has potential of being kept in a cage and called a pet, doesn't make it a companion like a dog.

Hey, I have to go, my rat is warning me of a potential danger outside my door...

No really, this thread is too funny.:lol:

Mud said:
Some of you are funny in trying to sound like you want to be fair in saying that worms and rats are no different from a dog. Just because an animal has potential of being kept in a cage and called a pet, doesn't make it a companion like a dog.

Actually, few said that. Most, like Gavin, Caymen and I are simply trying to "enlighten" people that it is through our own, often skewed, value systems that we differentiate a dog from a cow, or a pig. One we consider property, the other we consider an invaluable member of the family. One you go to jail for killing, the other you don't.

I think all animals should be viewed as property. Might I mourn if my dog is killed, or stolen? Sure, in much the same way that I would any other property or item that I value. Yes, I have had pets, and I understand it is more than that. I understand the usefulness of K9 officers, etc. But let's not kid ourselves, the K9 was added to the police force for one primary reason, and that is to go in harms way before the human officer, and for that, they are considered less valuable than a human...IMHO, through that very circumstance.

TJR

Why are we trying to make this a dog, cat, turkey, cow thing?! The point is (as it has been stated a few times) his activities were illegal. Period!!!! If we're saying he shouldn't be punished for the crime he committed then we have problems.

Why is it illegal to kill a dog, but not a mosquito?

Why would he not be punished for killing a rat?

Clubbing a spider is OK, but clubbing a baby seal is not OK.

That is the irony here. It all has to do with how cuddly they are.

And a special thank you to everyone that supports OUR military. Its hard to find true supporters these days with everyone trying to act like its the 60's and protesting just to do it. REGARDLESS of wether we should be there or not i would love to see more people supporting the troops. Please try to envision what would happen if we just pulled out of iraq and than let that country fend for itself. It would be come one large training camp for terrorists..

I support our troops so much that I wish the congress and the president would let them do their jobs instead of telling the troops how to do their jobs. Tell them what you need them to do, give them funding, and let them do the job.

TJR is completely agree. Again, I have no problem with leather, fur coats, meat, and souvenir sharks teeth.

A while back, there were some coats that had dog fur on them. There was an outrage about it. IMO, it is a disservice to an animal to use part of the body and not all of the body. If they are eating dogs in China, what is wrong with using the fur for clothing? IMO, you are doing that death justice by using ALL of the animal than just leaving the hide to rot.

I like eating frog legs, but do not like the fact that the only part to eat is the legs, therefore I try to avoid eating frog legs. I do not like to eat veal or lamb, though both are very tasty. I do not like how they raise veal to slaughter.

That is just me though.

I guess because a rat is nasty looking and lives in sewers means it deserves to die, but because rover comes when you call him, he doesn't.

Is there anything wrong with eating dog. People in the PI eat it. Does that make them a nation of killers and they need bombed?

Tom

So that's why I keep seeing all those legless frogs. You should be ashamed of yourself Caymen! :rolleyes:

Ok...here's another story...yes it was an accident, but there are folks in the Phoenix area that feel this officer should go to jail. I think this was just a horrible accident.

Michael Vick....go to directly to jail....don't collect anything from anyone again...

I had links to the story, but they didn't work when posted. So here's a brief.

CHANDLER, Ariz. --

A police dog left in his handler's vehicle was found dead after the Chandler officer returned to the vehicle.

Chandler police say the Belgian Malinois (mal-ihn-WAH') named Bandit apparently died of the extreme heat.

According to police, Sergeant Tom Lovejoy returned home Saturday after completing a duty assignment and apparently forgot that Bandit was in the vehicle. He found Bandit dead, say police, when he returned to the vehicle later in the day.

The high temperature in Phoenix on Saturday was 109 degrees.

The Chandler Police Department is conducting an investigation into the incident.

More of the story...the officer is the head of the K-9 unit, apparently one of his children was involved in an accident which is why the dog was left in the car.

Police officer = very tragic accident, one which I am sure he would take back in a second. He's probably cried, and feels intense remorse and responsibility.

Michael Vick = purposeful slaughter, of which I am sure he would have still done again. He probably hasn't cried, and feels no remorse or resposibility.

Police officer=Slap on the wrist and may be written up

General Public=Chanrged with cruelty to animals.

Tom

Actually that police officer will no longer be allowed to serve in the K9 Unit. You CAN NOT kill a working dog and just get a "slap on the wrist"

Gavin,

I am having a hard time trying to understand what exactly your point is. Are you advicating what micheal vick did was not wrong? Are you saying that killling a dog is not wrong? What he did was blatent murder. Hanging and drowning dogs is not humane at all. Mosquitos can fend for themselves, baby seals can fend for themselves. I find it idiotic to compare killing mosquitos to dogs.

I think you are wrong, Caymen. People accidently leave pets and kids in cars to suffocate at an alarming rate in this country. Most never get charged. What's the point of charging someone for an accident, one that they feel devastated about? To punish them? A a future deterent? I think not.

Not in the K9 world. you are the dogs handler. You cant just FORGET about your working dog in the back of the car and leave the dog in there, have the dog die and than n ot get anything for it. Im a k9 cop trust me i would know

I, for one, do not look at every living thing as equal.

I find lizards cute; I had one as a pet when I was younger, BUT in NO WAY should a lizard's life be held to the same degree as a dog's.

In my book, one is nothing more than blood and scales; it just makes owning a pellet gun fun.

A dog... is different.

But let me make something clear: I would kill a vicious dog in a heartbeat, but I would not torture the animal.

THAT'S where the issue is.

(and yes, there are "humane" ways of killing, believe it or not)

I would like to see any pet owner that does not properly take care of their animal go to jail. Unfortunately humane services are forced to kill hundreds of animals a day because assholes won't properly care for their pet. In fact I believe whatever fate the animal has to endure, so should the owner.

I agree.....there are humane ways of killing an animal. Some need to be euthanized for their own good or some are just way to aggressive to be adopted. Im appauled that Marbury said that he supports vick and dogfighting is just a "sport" Thats insane

ec3018e57f6a1990bb4177a9e0f46493.jpg

Hope this is not the leather shoe they are releasing...:huh:

Latest posts