Only got 35000 miles out of my Michlen Lattitude Tours!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Well, I had to get new tires. Only got 35000 miles out the these tires and I was very disappointed to say the least. These were a 70000 mile tire!! Anyways, Michelin did warranty the tire with a 35% discount off LTX2 or nothing back. My question is anyone else have this issue with Michelin's? I an religious in rotating, balancing every 6K miles, and 2 wheel alignments a year. Makes me wonder if Michelin brand is starting to tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does seem a bit early. My '05 had Michelin Cross Terrains on it originally. By 50k (about when I bought it) they were shot, but of course I do not know how well they were cared for before I bought it. The tire shop I used told me the Cross Terrain is great for the Escape, but not as good for the heavier Sport Trac. I have the Michelin LTX on my wife's Explorer and so far, with 50k, still holding up well. They have about half their tread depth left at this point. On my Trac I have Bridgestone Dueller HL Allenza's, and with 5k on them they still look brand new still.

I stick with the LTX or X Radial LT. I've got 65,000 miles on my current ones. It might be simplist, but it seems the fancy-named tires of any brand don't do well. Just my personal observation.

Big Al,

Tire warranties are often not worth the paper they are written on.

Most are just designed to make you think you are getting something, when all the warranty was designed to do is get you to buy your next set of tires from them so they can still make a profit from you.

Remember, you cannot get a warranty discount on everyday advertised or sale price. When tire makers honor their warranty, they only offer the discounts on the full MSRP price of that tire, which is rarely advertised. Most tires are sold at prices well below the MSRP. So what you are getting is a discount on a tire with a highly inflated price which ends up being about the price that anyone could buy them for, without any discounts.

Let say the everyday price of the tire is $100 and the MSRP is $140, you are going to get a 35% warranty discount ($49-$50) off of the MSRP which brings you back to the everyday price. Often times you can find that tire or even a better tire "On Sale" cheaper than what you paid for the tire with the warranty discount,...Especially if you getting 4 new tires !! That's probably why you are being steered to the LTX2 tire.... There is a bigger markup on the LTX2 and the dealer stands to make a bigger profit even with your warranty discount.

If you did not get good service or mileage from the first set of tires you probably will not do any better on the second set? Some times it's just better to cut your losses and buy a different tire, or a different brand.

My first set of Michlen's on my old Honda were terrible after only 10K miles and I never bought another Michlen tire again. When I bough my 2008 Mercedes, it had Michlens and they were great for a tire that I could not rotate (front and rear tires are different sizes on the C300 Sport model) So about a year ago I replaced them with the exact same Michlen tires.

...Rich

OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my '07 Limited were worn to tread indicators at 22k miles. Two of the OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my '10 Limited are worn to tread indicators at 26k miles.

Michelin LTX M+S lasted 69,000 miles on Wife's Pilot. Probably would have gone 5k more, but a huge hole from another car's wheel weight went through the sidewall of one, so I replaced them all.

Goodyear Invicta GLs cupped horribly on an Eclipse at 8k miles. Noisiest tires I ever had.

Goodyear SR-A tires were shit on Wife's previous Jeep Liberty.

I have had several sets of BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As over the years and have never regretted any of them. That is probably what I will go with soon for the Trac.

I don't think mine were recalled. I'll see how these wear and proceed further. Its a nice tire, but cost is out of this world for $178 per tire. Funny thing is on The original Goodyear Wrangler's, pulled 60K miles on them. I might go back to those if these don't work out.

OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my '07 Limited were worn to tread indicators at 22k miles. Two of the OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains on my '10 Limited are worn to tread indicators at 26k miles.

My '07 made it to 28k on the crap Cross-Terrain tires. Same type were on my '01 Trac and they were crap there as well. On my '01 my favorite tire I put on it was a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Lasted a long time and looked super cool, and we know that looks are what matters!

On my '07 I replaced the Cross-Terrains with some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors (265/60/18) and rolled with those for a good while. Just got new tires on it a little over a year ago, so the Wranglers made it almost 40k miles. After a lot of research and review reading I went with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires in a 265/60R/18 size. So far have been super pleased with them. They are showing almost no wear and are really quiet. Have been on several trips from Los Angeles to Tuscon, AZ and several between Las Vegas and here too.

I was worried when I saw the recall ont he Michelin tires as it was my size, but only on the M/S line, not the A/T line. I was worried about what they deemed an "equivalent" tire....

I got a similar post about tires, I was out shopping today and the good year guy recommended Goodyear Wrangler Armor Trac 74's. I went to tire discounters next and told them how I purchased my Toyo's from them a few years ago and I asked what he recommended. He suggested the Michelin LTX MSs and he also told me my old Toyo's were no longer made but have been replaced with Toyo Open Country AT II's. The Toyo's were the cheapest but I dont recall how good they were in the rain when I first got them. I assure you they are crappy in the rain now! And that is my primary concern by the way.

Surprising. Love my Latitude Tours although only have 13K on them. Smoothest and quietest tire I've ever owned.

Still look brand new and only complaints are they trap pebbles and appear somewhat flat when properly inflated.

Just a tip about buying tires at some discount stores. Most discount stores and even some Discount tire stores do not carry the top of the line tires. If you got to brand name tire stores like Goodyear, Firestone, etc you will have a better selection of tires.

Most people here don't care for Goodyear tires, especially the Wranglers that may have came with their Sport Trac, but Goodyear makes a lot of different models of Wrangler tires.

I had a set of Goodyear Wrangler RFA's on my 2001 Sport Trac as replacements for the recalled Firestone ATX tires back during the Explorer/Firestone fiasco in late 2000. The RFA's were Rotation Free Aqua treads and had a different tread design for the front and rear tires. I put 42K miles on those tires without a tire rotation and they looked brand new when I traded it in for my 2003 Sport Trac. I never had any problems with the RFA's, they were smooth riding, quiet, with excellent wet weather traction throughout the 42K miles, and I never even had a flat tire. I even drove through a tropical storm in Arkansas where the rain was so hard that people were pulling off the highway.... With the Aqua-Treads and RainX, I kept driving at 65-70 MPH like I was on rails..:grin:

Goodyear does not make the RFA's any more...I think they were replaced by a TripleTread model, but Goodyear does make some good tires as does Firestone, and Michlen, you just might not be able to get their best tires at Wal-Mart or Discount Tire stores.

....Rich

Weird... my Michelin Cross Terrains were great BOTH sets I had. Sounds like some of you had issues. My OEM set when I bought my 2004 ST new lasted 70K miles. Replaced them with the same set of tires for about $700 - $750 if I recall (my local Goodyear tire service shop had to special order them - I was in a small town at the time). That set has lasted me until now at 140K miles. Many, many road trips. I'm on here reviewing opinions on tires because Michelin no longer makes the Cross Terrains. Sounds like LTX is popular.

Update: Bought the LTX's. Got a great deal at Sears Online. They were discontinuing the LTX's and got a set of four for like $625... great deal. Love the tires.

Latest posts