Ok wrench heads... guess the noise.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
Odd little noise that only started( ok, only noticed) after the sct tune. It only happens when going up a hill giving her throttle. Doesn't take a lot of gas but it does stop when I come off the pedal. At first it sounded like valves to me, granted that doesnt mean much, but it's sounds familiar, like a car next to you at a light when they start going. Realizing Ive given you zero info and the chances are nilll on this one.........................name that tune. Betsy has just under 5k. Good luck, thank you, and hope to see you back at the lightning round.........:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you have spark knock or pinging or detonation... ARE you using 93 octane????

If you got a performance tune you MUST use 92 or 93 octane... Sounds like the timing is too advanced, OR she needs a little more fuel at part throttle....

Check the gas first, IF not let Wayne know you need it a little richer at part throttle and to back the timing off a degree or two..

Todd Z

You know, that;s what I thought but I emailed wayne and he warned me about running lower oct. but the tune was for 91 oct, and that's all I run. 91 is all we get in ca., maybe it was set to 93 if that could do it. Think I should put it back to stock until later? thanks so much guys. its less for sure than before but still there occasionally. seriously, thanks for your help!!!!!

Put some oct boost in tonight. Honestly not sure but dont think that was it. never ran anything but 91 so we'll see. really worried im gonna tear somethin up or do damage.

Thanks again guys. Please comment if you have ideas.

Pro input on this one.Does it sound like a sucking sound (not the one most of us hear when

we take the st's to the dealer, that's just the sound of our wallets being cleaned out!!!),

I mean like have you done any air intake mods, K@N, opening the air box up, etc...,knocking

or a metallic rapping noise (t-chain or lifters, or spark knock). These are both common noises

you may hear from a vehicle sitting next to you at the light when they accellerate.My

guess is it is with the tune if it started when you installed it. Better safe than sorry. Go

back to the stock tune untill you can figure it out.The sucking sound is not too bad

(unless you are in the dealer service department), but the knocking and rapping sounds

can do major damage in a hurry if not diagnosed.

Pro input on this one.Does it sound like a sucking sound (not the one most of us hear when

we take the st's to the dealer, that's just the sound of our wallets being cleaned out!!!),

I mean like have you done any air intake mods, K@N, opening the air box up, etc...,knocking

or a metallic rapping noise (t-chain or lifters, or spark knock). These are both common noises

you may hear from a vehicle sitting next to you at the light when they accellerate.My

guess is it is with the tune if it started when you installed it. Better safe than sorry. Go

back to the stock tune untill you can figure it out.The sucking sound is not too bad

(unless you are in the dealer service department), but the knocking and rapping sounds

can do major damage in a hurry if not diagnosed.

Latest posts