Oil filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford Wheeler

Reaction score
I'll be doing my first oil change on my ST soon and am having trouble figuring out which oil filter to use. They have a book where I buy them but the ST is not listed in it. Do I use the same filter as an '05 Ranger 4.0 or the '05 Explorer 4.0? My ST is an '05. Thanks in advance.

Do I use the same filter as an '05 Ranger 4.0 or the '05 Explorer 4.0?

Yes. I use a claw-type filter wrench, a 3/8" extension fits into it, and it grabs the filter from the bottom.

Use motorcraft...FL 820S....dont buy fram...If you cant find the motorcraft, use purolator..

They're orange anodized aluminum foil that use cotton balls and chicken wire for the onstruction of the filter media.

Big D: there are a number of tests posted on the internet about various oil filters, and the Fram filters consistently are the worst. Their anti-drainback valve fails under pressure, and their filter media is inconsistent compared to other brands.

Also Frams use paper endcaps on the filter media where almost everybody else uses metal, and they have less square inches of actual filter area than any others. Word is that the new Autolite filters showing up at Wal-Mart are relabeled Frams. Bottom line, using a Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but better filters are available for the same money (like Motorcraft).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Job 1 ST's use a different thread on the filter... If you have a Job 1, I might be inclined to go see what filter I have on mine.

A PLUG FOR ADVANCED AUTO

They sold me the wrong filter, I didn't think it was the right one. I got home dropped the oil, and it was indeed the WRONG filter. I called them, and after a minute or two I convinced the manager that I was not going to either put the old oil back in or drive it without any. So, the manager brought the correct filter to my house! I was quite pleased and told him so!!!

KatManT

PS - let me know if you need me to get the filter info for ya..

Autolite is a part of the Fram/Honeywell company.

This is from www.fram.com

"The FRAM® brand is part of the Honeywell Consumer Product Group, a division of Honeywell International Inc., headquartered in Danbury, Conn. The Honeywell Consumer Products Group manufactures and markets FRAM® oil, air, transmission and fuel filters; Prestone® antifreeze/coolant and car care products; Autolite® spark plugs, ignition wire sets and automotive accessories; and Holts® car care products."

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002981#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002817#000000

Autolite has not been a part of Ford for decades, although many people still think it is. Evidence here is that Autolite filters are relabeled Frams. Probably because word is getting out via the Internet that Frams are junk.

I bought a case of Purolator air filters for my Sport Trac and they are all re-labled Motorcraft filters. You can plainly see the Motorcraft name and number through the black magic marker on the filter element, and the Purolator number that was inkjet'ed on. They were sealed in plastic and in a Purolator carton.

I asked Purlator about this and got an E-mail reply that they were just buying them from Motorcraft for now, but would probably start producing their own when the volume got high enough.

I used Motorcraft the first time around with regular Castrol oil, and the second time I used a Purolator PureONE filter with Castrol Syntec Blend.

FL1A or FL400A should be the right filter for the 2001 Job 1 Tracs. The FL1A has the same threads as the FL400A, but the FL1A is larger. The gasket on both are the same diameter too. You can use the FL1A where a FL400A goes as long as you have enough room. I have never looked under a 2001 Job 1, but I would hope to think the FL1A will fit perfectly if the FL400A is the required filter.

Tom

The FL1A fits perfectly on my kids '97 Explorer, so there should be no problem on a Job1 Trac. The FL1A is one BIG filter!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eary Trac SOHC engines used the SAE threaded filters such as the FL!A. Later they went to metric threads as in the FL820. I believe in one year there was a mixture of both.

Sorry for the delay, and the results here.. :eek:

I went out and looked at the filter on my Job 1.

I couldn't see any numbers on it.

But it is bigger than the stock one, and blue, oh and it is partially covered with mud!

Sorrry, I know this doesn't help..

But I did go look... :rolleyes:

KatManT

Latest posts