Odd hissing noise...found

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will just say we found the solution to a problem, but never really help others "find" the problem.

Tom

I looked up 'EVAP purge valve' in my ST shop manual to see where it was. Alright Ape, I took the pic, so you get to try the cloth thing and tell me if it works for you too.

[Broken External Image]:

It's funny that only after taking the picture and seeing where it actually is, I realize how accurate Steve Bryant's description is in his last paragraph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavin,

Wrapping the valve doesn't open any part of the system to outside air. It simply "muffles or mutes" the sound made by the vacuum air as it is pulled through the valve. It makes the same sound as it always did, you just cant hear it doing it.

Perhaps I could have used a better word than "breathe" to describe what the valve is actually doing. The little cap on top of the valve is actually the electromagnet winding cover.

I have tinkered a bit more with this and I think most of the sound is transmitted to the fender through the metal mounting bracket itself. I unsnapped the valve, rewrapped it and tucked it back into it's place without using the bracket. I cant hear it at all when configured in this fashion.

Steve Bryant

Latest posts