• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SportTrac Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Not sure if I want to swap my Gen 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Higley

Reaction score
Thinking aboout the unthinkable...love the truck, it has zero issues but I'd love to have something me and the wife could take to weekend 'show and shines' or cruise nights...something old and cool in excellent shape. Don't have the bucks to dress up the 2000 ST which is still stock and in perfect shape at 60k...but stock...somebody talk me into it...or out of it...tried of waitin' to hit the lottery. :) If there were ST meets that might do the trick ya know and maybe be worth dressin' up with after market...but there ain't. Any ideas? Back in the day, we'd trade Pinks...wonder if that's still done these days...

later

Doug

That's a nice truck I would keep it, maybe paint the gray cladding black, add fog lights, maybe some aftermarket wheels. Being a Job 1 it be a nice candidate for Explorer 5.0 swap as well, not many 5.0 Sport Trac's around.

IMO, you do have "something old and cool in excellent shape". One of the first Trac's ever made. Style made for only 5 model years. Plus, low mileage and stock. Ya know? I believe one day, many years from now, these will be sought after. Not that I keep mine pristine or hoping for money out of it. But, I will enjoy driving it as long as I can.

I do get that individual feeling driving it. Unlike my Wife's Accord. They've been making that thing for 30 years and there is something like 10 million of those(not exaggerating). I don't know the exact numbers of ST's made. But, it's not much comparatively speaking.

But, I still have dreams of one day owning a nice old muscle car for cruising. By that time though, I may see your ST at a Barret Jackson auction and want it instead.

But, hey. You only live once. So, if you want a old cruiser..go for it! :)

BTW, what are you thinking of getting? What do you like?

I knew I'd get some thoughtful answers. Thanks.

Yeah Chad...wheels would be #1 add...and I like the idea of black clading (thanks) and was thinking about lights...we're on the same page. :)

Markaprice73: I hear ya on 'cool' and that 'individual feeling'...the trac still gets the looks (especially from me haha) and the style is still contemp and looks a hell of a lot nicer than the influx of 'station wagons; being turned out by all the car companys these days. I totally agree that the Tracs will be hot in 10 or 20 years...I mean if old Broncos are top dollar Mecum...:) Thing is I won't be around but I can picture it.

If I had the $$ I'd go for a '69 Olds 442 convertable.

Used to have a '56 Chrysler and it was lot of fun to hit the little shows and Drive-In meets.

But like Gyates says...it ain't practical...but a 442 would be. :)

Maybe I'll just get those wheels and wash it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get new wheels, keep the originals. Sure wish I had.

I do think the Sport Trac will one day be a sought after truck by the off road crowd like the Bronco. I hope I'm ahead of the curve.

A '69 Olds 442 convertible is way cooler than a Sport Trac, though.:supercool: Although, I don't think you can get one as mechanically sound as your Sport Trac for what you can sell the Trac for. If I've learned one thing from my '69 Cougar, there's always one more thing you can do to it and it's never cheap when you're talking about a 45 year old car; maybe easy, but not cheap. To buy a classic you can drive around worry free, look to spend upwards of $15k. If you want to buy and restore, look to spend upwards $20k and a year's time. A 442 in mint condition would likely fetch in the mid $30k range but man are they sweet in black with mirror chrome. I'd like to see you go that route (because I can spend others' money easily), so if you need any help, I attached a picture.

[Broken External Image]:

yeah Hugh...about 30 grand...something I won't have...but I was asked a 'what if' :)

I like it in dark blue with a white interior and top...but black is sweet too. (I had a picture to post but I couldn't get it posted for some reason.)

Mecum is coming to Anaheim, all I need is that loterry win. :)

I think if I were going classic and could afford it, I would take a 65-66 mustang fastback, do some body mods, suspension mods, drop in a 427windsor stroker, a 5 or 6 speed gearbox for cruising, better bigger brakes all around, and a nice set of wheels.

What size engine do you have in your 69 Cougar?

yeah Hugh...about 30 grand...something I won't have...but I was asked a 'what if' :)

You can get into it fairly cheaply with the right cars with the right aftermarket support. Mustangs, Camaros, Bel Airs and some others...if you can get a decent body or older restoration at a decent price you can cruise to the shows and not be embarrassed for not a whole lot of money.

What size engine do you have in your 69 Cougar?

351 Windsor 4bbl. Used it as a daily driver for 4 years with about $8k invested; $4k of it body and paint.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a nice car I'm a fan of the classic mustangs and cougars, there is a guy local here has a cougar like yours only its orange and black, real nice car.

Latest posts