noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Kelly

Reaction score
Has any one had any complaints about wind noise.we have a 2005 and my wife says she can here a lot of wind noise comming from the back seat area when she rides in the passenger seat but in is not as bad when she is driving. Would the rear spoiler help by directing the air over the back. Or would side vent shields help.

:wub:

sorry but ive got to say it...have you checked to make sure that the rear window isant "vented" or down, if not then sorry dont know what to tell ya

Our STs are known for their wind noise ...LOL... The VentVisors will only increase the wind noise.....but I have them & like them. Your '05 has weather gaskets on rear-doors ....I would check there.

From my experience, window visors only affect wind noise levels when the windows are open, in which case it is quieter than not having them. If you have a moonroof, even when the glass is closed it will create a lot of wind noise. Making sure the moonroof visor is fully closed reduces noise a lot! Other than that I think our Tracs are inherently prone to wind noise.

You can do the "sound proofing" project. Im not positive but I think it was Todd Z, besides that rip off them door panels and start layin tape

Hey!...Just a thought on this. I'm a quality tech at G.M. and deal with the dealerships every day on customer feedback on issues such as this. It's referred to in the category of N.V.H., Noise, Vibration and Harshness, or anything the customer would consider "annoying". In my personal experience (20+ years) I think the new technology in automobiles has gotten some of us accustomed to the fact that we should hear no noise, feel no vibration and experience no harshness in a new vehicle.Not to make light of your wife's complaint, but unless it is unusually distracting, "interrupts conversation at normal levels, radio at normal levels", etc..., I don't think it is something that the dealer or Ford will address in this case.

Oh...Just a p.s. If you have the "rear air" as I call it, make sure your rear fan control is not set to high...Have noticed this myself while driving.

I've addressed this issue a couple of times on this site. My problem is the same as yours....both front and rear seat occupants notice the noise. However "negligible" it may be to those who engineered the vehicle, the wind rush is simply too noticeable in a 2005 model vehicle sold at this price point. Period.

I have a 2005 XLT ST and the wind noise is something I have noticed as well. I have noticed that the rest of the vehicle is very quiet and this may play a part in the wind noise being noticable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the noise problem after looking at all the post I was washing mine today and the passenger side has the weather seal that is attached to the rear door and fills the space between the front and rear door when closed and on the drivers side it is not there it was left off you can see the mounting holes but the seal was not installed. Back to the dealer next week We have only had the ST 1 week.Some one must have been in a hurry when it was put together or it was friday:(