Noise when turning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uwe Canting 2

Reaction score
2003ST XLT 4x4 with 145,000 miles. When turning left I hear a knocking noise coming from drivers front side. Could this be wheel bearings? If so is this something that has to be taken care of right away or can it wait a while?

It does not sound like what the hub bearing does when it starts to fail.

When my hub bearing went it sounded and felt like a constant whirring/rumbling sound and when I turned the sound and rumbling disappeared. The knocking almost sounds like something is binding as you turn.

Anything suspension related I would take in to get checked ASAP. You don't need the steering knuckle coming apart at 70mph.

Yep, Keith S is correct...it sounds like an outer CV joint is going bad. A quick check underneath, behind the wheel will probably show a cracked or torn rubber boot on the outer CV joint You may be able to clean out the CV joint, repack it with grease and install a new boot. They even make a two piece boot so you don't have to remove the axle, however I don't they last as long. Rebuilding the CV Joints is a very messy job, because the boot is filled with grease, and you have to clean out the old grease and repack the boot with fresh grease.

If the CV joint is too far gone, the best bet, and the cleanest thing to do is just replace the whole half-shaft. That way you get a new axle with both the inner an outer CV Joints rebuilt. and you don't have to get covered with grease :grin:

...Rich

Yep, Keith S is correct...it sounds like an outer CV joint is going bad. A quick check underneath, behind the wheel will probably show a cracked or torn rubber boot on the outer CV joint You may be able to clean out the CV joint, repack it with grease and install a new boot. They even make a two piece boot so you don't have to remove the axle, however I don't they last as long. Rebuilding the CV Joints is a very messy job, because the boot is filled with grease, and you have to clean out the old grease and repack the boot with fresh grease.

If the CV joint is too far gone, the best bet, and the cleanest thing to do is just replace the whole half-shaft. That way you get a new axle with both the inner an outer CV Joints rebuilt. and you don't have to get covered with grease :grin:

...Rich

Seems to me that 4X4 Trac front hubs and CV joints are known pattern failure items. Have a look at some YouTube DIY videos and you'll see it there too. The repair looks pretty straightforward whether you DIY or pay a shop.

Could the 'knocking noise' that you describe be the anti-lock brakes?

The ABS sensor is a common failure item for 4X4s. When it fails, you detect the problem at low speeds, when you have the steering wheel cranked, and the ABS kicks in when it shouldn't. The solution is to replace the entire hub, in which the ABS sensor is integral.

Last edited by a moderator: