NO!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About half of those would probably be worth more for sale on the open market than sold in the clunkers program. Unless the engine is blown, the ST most likely would.

Lets look at this. Worst case scenerio.

2001 ST 4x2, poor condition, manual tranny, 200,000 miles.

Trade-in value is $3,075.00.

Lets say the owner actually took care of it.

2001 ST 4x4, good condition. Average mileage of 15K/year Automatic, bed extender, t-cover, etc.

Trade-in value is "clean" $6,400. "Rough" trade-in is $4,900.00

Average out between the two, and we are looking at a vehicle that could have been sold on a retail lot at about $6,000 and the owner could have traded it in for much more than $4,500.00.

As I said before, this Cash For Clunkers "deal" is like zero percent interest. It might sound good, but for the majority of people that participate in it, end up losing money on the deal.

Tom

Aside from possibly having a payment that you didn't have before, what's your complaint with 0% financing deals Tom? Just curious....

w/O% isn't it usually an either or offer? either 0% or some other incentive, rebate, etc.

SOMETIMES it will be 0% or a rebate, at which point you need to know what % you can get private financing at and figure out the cost of each. You can't just say 0% is a bad deal. You need to weigh in the term of the loan, cost of private financing and if there's a different incentive option. Depending on these factors, you might come out ahead. 0% for 60-72 months is hard to beat, and while those term lengths aren't extremely common (often 36-48 months), they do pop up somewhat regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what Dan Long said.

0% can be a good deal IF otherwise the rate that you would pay on the balance (even after enjoying a rebate) would have you paying more, total.

It's all about total cost of financing and purchase.

Also, no matter how you slice it, it's usually VERY CLOSE in total cost no matter which way you go...(0%, or higher rate + rebate), for if it weren't close then GMAC and Ford Credit, etc wouldn't offer the 0%.

TJR

Does that ST have VERTICAL grab rings on the front? My 01 has Horizontal rings.. Is something that I just now noticed? Anyone else have the vertical ones? Dave

I have seen a couple older tracs with those, they looked OEM, but may be aftermarket. I am still looking for the chrome one that the Rachel Z has. No one over here is willing to respond to emails. And they say the East coast is rude!?:blink:

Most people are just too lazy to actually sell a vehicle themselves.

Ihave sold my last 5 cars myself. Always made mucho $$ over trade. It seems to help to deal on the new one also. Straight up buy. Last three cash off the lot.

Latest posts