1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

NO start when hot MYSTERY!

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Braxton Dawkins, May 24, 2019.

1. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

my 01 has been giving me headaches the last couple years during the summer. It usually starts and runs fine mostly during the cooler months if I just drive it to work and home and maybe stop at one or two places.....but when it’s really hot like today (about 98 degrees here in SC) I just drove it home from work about 15 miles, parked it went inside for a few mins then came back out to spray down the front end bolts (since I’m doing ball joints this weekend) and I tried to start it to turn the wheels to access the bolts and it started and then stumbled and shut off. This is just like it has done a few other times but this time I was home and not sitting in a parking lot somewhere. So I was like great I can try some things on it that I have seen on the forums to see if it’s something simple. I messed around with the fuel cutoff switch on the passenger floor board....nothing. I tapped on the IAC (of course I cleaned it about a month ago) nothing. So I said ok let me spray some starter fluid in it.....bam it runs....albeit smooth for only a few seconds then it’s rough as hell....makes sense to me it’s not getting fuel. SO! My question to you guys is....wtf is my problem???? Fuel pump? Fuel pressure regulator? Has a new filter so that isn’t it....sure seems like vapor lock to me since it’s only happening when it’s super hot...but I’m told that’s “impossible” on fuel injection. Really need some ideas before I start throwing money at it.....any Help greatly appreciated!

2. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

Oh and by the way....after it cools off it starts perfectly and runs fine. Usually about an hour or two.....so.....there’s that

3. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

Until this time.....it’s not starting now

4. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Could be fuel pump, with the age of your trac. Your year has the return pressure system. you have a shrader on the end of the fuel rail. You should be able to get a pressure reading when you turn the key to the KOEOFF. Plus see pressure stay at least 35 psi while cranking. Have you changed the filter?

5. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

thanks for your reply.....I'm planning on getting a pressure tester today to test it. The filter was changed when this problem originally started a year or so ago....but its been doing it on and off since I've changed it. It's odd how it seems like its brought on by heat and when it cools it starts but this time it wont....It must just be a coincidence

6. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Im going with fuel pump......

7. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

Ok just put the tester on it.....is it possible for it to show no fuel pressure at all even with a bad pump? It’s not moving I’ve turned the key off and on 20 times and nothing....:/

8. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

bad pump

9. Burn out Bob

Burn out Bob Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

So what was it????

10. Braxton Dawkins

Braxton Dawkins Member

My bad lol, I got it fixed and was so happy I forget about following up! It was the fuel pump for sure. And honestly changing that out isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for the help guys!