No magnet on trans pan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Just a little complaint here. So I just dropped the pan (to work on valve body) and as I was about to clean it prior to installing a drain plug I noticed the magnet was NOT in place! It was no where to be found. It was there the last time I dropped the pan to adjust the EPC. This was right after getting a rebuilt tranny under warranty (by the selling dealership). Then I remembered taking it back to a local dealership again because a loose trans dip stick tube was causing a leak (according to service right-up).

So, my trans pan did not have a magnet installed for the last 30K miles! Probably not a big deal...IF it wasn't the cause of my 2-3 flare!

Going back a little more, when I got the rebuilt trans, that dealership failed to reinstall the servo heat shield too. Their excuse was that it was deleted. Whatever. I bought one later on and reinstalled it.

What's up with dealerships leaving out parts??? DIY justified.

:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually, rebuilt transmissions come with the pan in place and the dealer should no have needed to remove it? So the missing magnet may have been from whoever did the transmission rebuild. I would think that it should be mentioned to the dealer, have hime replace the magnet, and get it in writing that the rebuilt transmission did not come with a magnet. It's probably out of warranty now, but it may make a good negotiating point if you have another tranny failure.

...Rich

Just a thought, DID the dealer install a filter in your cooling line ??? On my 04 they did and said it has to be there as per FORD for the warranty on the rebuilt tranny...

BUT said the filter MUST be changed every 15K miles at close to $80.00 for the part !!!! as it gets dirty very easily.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Richard, I decided to just buy another magnet.

Yes, I have that Todd. As a matter of fact I ordered a replacement filter kit last night along with the trans pan magnet. I figured what wasn't on the magnet was probably in that little $80 filter. FPN carries it for about $50 so I got it from our sponsor.

I didn't know it had to be changed every 15K though.

Wife's Outback ('07) has a spin-on filter on the transmission line to the cooler. Seems like such a good idea / no-brainer. Wonder if there are any decent aftermarket kits with the proper flow rates/pressures/micron ratings?

Latest posts