1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Newb With 2008 ST Help Please

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Keith R Stromberg, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Keith R Stromberg

Keith R Stromberg Member 2nd Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Just purchased a 2008 4.0 2x4 ST
    Have no idea what type of maintenance that has or hasn’t been done. It has 130,000 miles and I want to do all the routine maintenance and any upgrades. Can anyone give me a idea what I need to do to the ST?
    The gas mileage is averaging around 14 MPG. The brakes don’t feel the best. Replaced pads front and back already. That didn’t help the brakes much. Feel like I have to press hard on the pedal to stop the ST. Thanks for any info you can provide. Would like to find the project for making a bed cover for it also. It had the factory cover at one time. The brackets and hardware are still on the truck but the cover is long gone.
    Thanks Keith

Wilson likes this.
  2. Monolith999

Monolith999 Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

The brakes on most the 2nd gen tracs feel soft, kinda mushy, if there is a fix for that, I don't know of it. but at 130, I'd check ball joints, suspension bushings all over, spark plugs or fuel filter may improve milage... maybe also look at the serpentine belt to see if it's been changed, air filter, and check the tranny fluid. other than that, maybe run a can of seafoam through the throttle body. I own an 07 v8 trac, but the milage estimates aren't very far off. before I put the big mud tires on, I was getting about 14 city and 20 highway if I really babied it. Also, Welcome to the forum!

3. Monolith999

I should also add that the fuel pumps in tracs aren't the best. Also if you're willing, timing chain

4. Keith R Stromberg

Keith R Stromberg Member 2nd Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Thanks so much for the info. The gas mileage really is bad. I’m averaging 14 Hwy now. I had a 2005 ST with the 4.0 years ago and it got around 17. How do you do the Seafoam cleaning?
    Thanks again

5. Monolith999

you can do tyhe seafoam cleaning one of three ways. you get a spray can, and shoot it down the throttle body, you get a pour can and put it in the gas, or get a pour can and put it in the oil. but with that mileage, I'd look at the spark plugs and air filter

6. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Some have pulled the hose from the brake booster. slowly pour in.