1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Newb With 2008 ST Help Please

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Keith R Stromberg, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Keith R Stromberg

Keith R Stromberg Member 2nd Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Just purchased a 2008 4.0 2x4 ST
    Have no idea what type of maintenance that has or hasn’t been done. It has 130,000 miles and I want to do all the routine maintenance and any upgrades. Can anyone give me a idea what I need to do to the ST?
    The gas mileage is averaging around 14 MPG. The brakes don’t feel the best. Replaced pads front and back already. That didn’t help the brakes much. Feel like I have to press hard on the pedal to stop the ST. Thanks for any info you can provide. Would like to find the project for making a bed cover for it also. It had the factory cover at one time. The brackets and hardware are still on the truck but the cover is long gone.
    Thanks Keith

Wilson likes this.
  2. Monolith999

Monolith999 Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V8 Engine

The brakes on most the 2nd gen tracs feel soft, kinda mushy, if there is a fix for that, I don't know of it. but at 130, I'd check ball joints, suspension bushings all over, spark plugs or fuel filter may improve milage... maybe also look at the serpentine belt to see if it's been changed, air filter, and check the tranny fluid. other than that, maybe run a can of seafoam through the throttle body. I own an 07 v8 trac, but the milage estimates aren't very far off. before I put the big mud tires on, I was getting about 14 city and 20 highway if I really babied it. Also, Welcome to the forum!

3. Monolith999

I should also add that the fuel pumps in tracs aren't the best. Also if you're willing, timing chain

4. Keith R Stromberg

Thanks so much for the info. The gas mileage really is bad. I’m averaging 14 Hwy now. I had a 2005 ST with the 4.0 years ago and it got around 17. How do you do the Seafoam cleaning?
    Thanks again

5. Monolith999

you can do tyhe seafoam cleaning one of three ways. you get a spray can, and shoot it down the throttle body, you get a pour can and put it in the gas, or get a pour can and put it in the oil. but with that mileage, I'd look at the spark plugs and air filter

6. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Some have pulled the hose from the brake booster. slowly pour in.

7. Keith R Stromberg

Thanks for your help.
    My biggest concern is the noise I hear in the cab of the truck. Sounds like the rear tires are roaring. I’ve driven down the road slowly with the windows down and don’t hear it? Also the transmission shifts hard/rough at times. Hard to explain. I’ve had many say it’s the wheel bearings. But I would think you would hear the noise outside the truck also? I’m trying to take care of the things it needs to have a safe truck that will last many more miles. Always like the Spirt Trac. Do have a warranty for 90 days not sure it will pay for wheel bearing. The truck didn’t have the manual with it either. They aren’t cheap.

Thanks Again

8. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

Manuals are free downloadable on line.... its either a bearing or the driveshaft carrier bearing... GET that looked at because is 500-1200 repair.... the wheel bearings are about $400 unless you do yourself... The wheel hub bearing you will NOT hear outside... because its not a noise, it hard to explain.. its more of a vibration you feel the sound waves from. Common on the ST...

9. Keith R Stromberg

Thanks

10. Jon OData

Jon OData Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

I have an '08 also. I would begin by changing the air filter if it looks dirty, fuel filter, plugs, and wires if they look old. Then change ALL the fluids. Oil, coolant, tranny, rear axle has a drain plug and easy to do yourself with 75w-140 synthetic, power steering, and brake fluid (might fix that soft pedal). The tranny may be on its last legs anyway. It's a weak spot and they tend to crap out between 100k and 150k. The wind noise could be the inner window seal, it was on mine, try shoving it back into the door frame on the driver's door while you're driving and if that's not it have a passenger do it on that door or the rears. If that quiets it down then put a little Gorilla Glue on it and shove it back in. Run two tanks of gas through it with Chevron Techron cleaner or if you're feeling spendy, BG 44K. I've used NAPA ceramic brakes for years and they have good feel and little dust. NAPA's Ultra Premium rotors are the bomb too.

11. Keith R Stromberg

Thanks I’m grimy ducks in a row so to speak to start on my list. I have Multiple Sclerosis and it’s hard to do much in this hot weather. Heat makes symptoms worse..
    Truck came with a 90 day warranty wondering if they may cover the transmission problem. This is my second ST. First was a 2005 with the 5.0. Always regret selling it. Don’t understand why Ford stop making them. Unless sales were low?
    Thanks
    Keith