New to Board - In negotiations for sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILL E

Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a v8 sport trac, 4x4 with towing. I am very excited. THis will double as a daily driver and occassional truck for towing. We are going to pick up a smaller RV < 4500 pounds empty. The Sport Trac really fits the bill. The 4 doors means there is room in the back for the dogs. The size means it will fit in my garage. The small bed will be a great place for a small generator. The v8/4x4 means good power and less worries in bad weather/snow and I can even take it out on some trails.

If this deal falls through I will find another one, there just doesn't seem to be anything else that fits the bill as well as a sport trac.

The funny part is I almost missed it as a possibility. Ford didn't advertise this truck very well and, until I got interested in one, I never really noticed them. I happened to be reviewing Fords brochure on towing and saw the sport trac (the second time through). Ford really missed the marking boat on this one. One good campaign showing the truck, it's options and a tag line of 'And it will fit in your garage' probably would have doubled sales...

I am looking forward to being useful member of this board.

welcome to the site..

The trac will to it, just watch the loaded weight, and get an additional tranny cooler.... with a 4500 lb dry weight, you'll be close to the limit... A 4:10 gear will be better than the 3.73....

Mine is 4083 dry, and with light packing of essentials, and provisions, I am at the 5500# limit (2wd)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 2010 Adrenalin with the V8 and love it for towing. My 55 Nash with the 20 foot PJ trailer weighs close to 5000 pounds and the ST handles it real well. You do not have any rear-end ratio options for the Gen 2, but the 6 speed auto leaves you with plenty of power. I normally disengage the OD if I am in hills. I do not have any additional tranny coolers other than stock. You will love the ST. I am on my 4th and plan to keep it forever, as now they are no more.

Rod

Mt 2008 ST came from the factory with the towing package. This included an additional trannie cooler, classIII/IV hitch and all the wiring nesessary for a trailer and brake controller. I have a tandem axle boat trailer with a 22' speed boat that weighs in at ~4000lbs. No problem. The trailer for the bikes comes in at ~4600lbs, no real problems other than, due to the hieght, the trailer moves around a little, you know its back there. Bob

Will E, welcome to the board in advance of your purchase, Get it done and post your pics here. As for you being an incoming "newbie" I will say that you are right in line with most everyone here as to why FMC missed their calling with the ST, but it is now almost a dead issue because we "ain't" gettin our wish for FMC to revive or continue the Sport Trac. It's good that you found out about it or you may have bought a lesser truck like a Chevy Colorado or a GMC Canyon, or "Oh my!' a Dodge Whatchacallit!:banana:

well, that one fell apart. I called the dealer and they said someone was test driving it but if I put a deposit before they did it was mine. I figured it was BS but we had already agreed on a price so I did. They faxed me some stuff, we faxed it back but in the end they called and said the GM decided to sell to the folks on the lot. Can't blame them but bummer.

So I went for one on ebay. It's a loaded 2008. (v8,4x4,leather,tow,sync,navigation,cover,extender,etc)

Hopefully when I see it the first time it won't be a bust....

If it all goes as planned I will post some pics!

Latest posts