New Rotors...Smoke from Tire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just changed out the brake rotors, bearings, and seals on my 2001 2WD ST. On the first test drive (about 5 miles with some mild to medium braking) I returned to the driveway and saw some smoke coming from the driver side wheel, it went away quickly. I jacked it up and spun the tire, it spins 3 or 4 times freely if you spin it hard. I can hear the pads slightly rubbing the rotor, nothing that I think would be abnormal. Is this smoke normal the first few times, is it just cutting oil or some grease burning off. I am going to take it out again for another short drive and see if it still does it, but I don't want to go for a long drive unless I get an answer saying it is normal. Thanks for your help.

Yes, big glop of grease in hand, push through bearing all the way around until it comes out the other side. I am sure I did it right, I have packed a few bearings before and never had a problem...knock on wood. :blink: I just drove it again, and there was no smoke this time, but still a little smell. I think I just got my greasy hands on the rotor, and it is burning off...I hope. :wacko: It definitely drives better now, nice and smooth while breaking, a big difference.

If there had been a spot of grease that burned off, it might be hard to prove it to yourself it it was on the back side. Hard to see back there. I hope you are right.

I just replaced my rotors a week ago. Sure is nice to have that darn pulsing of the brakes be gone.

I also had to replace one wheel cylinder on the right rear (drum). :)

Yes, I just read somewhere else that if you don't wash off the oil that protects the new rotor it will smoke and stink for a little while, but nothing to worry about really. I just slapped them on without washing them, so this is probably the culprit. I will find out for sure here in a little while when I drive it across town. :D Thanks for your help, I will check back later in case someone else has a theory, and to update after the longer drive.

If you dont clean the coating off the rotors. The coating will embed and glaze the pads. You may have to sand the pad surface so they will cure properly...

Same at the others have said previously, but my concern is that you may have gotten a little heavy on the brakes during the break-in. Brakes should be allowed to cool between stops and "Light" and "medioum" brake stops in only 5 miles is probably not letting the brakes cool down enough between stops. You can heat check your rotors and glaze your pads very easlily if you gett them two hot too soon, and you will never get the full stopping power after that.

...Rich

You should be fine, but expect your next brake service interval to be shorter then the last.

As Richard said, proper break break-in wasn't achieved if you did in fact drive as stated in the first post. You'll probably be fine, but some noise may be present for some time.

A good general rule whenever doing brakes is to use brake cleaner on the rotors, on both sides, before you even install them. Then, after installation, before putting the caliper back on, clean them again. And don't touch the swept area with greasy hands.

Thanks for the input. I thought I was being good by not jamming on the brakes during the first trip out, I guess I should have been even easier on the brakes. I know now that I should have cleaned rotors with brake cleaner. Everything seems to be working properly though, nice smooth braking. I will keep my eye on things and expect to change the brakes sooner than normal.