new ranger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcobra302 78

Reaction score
i don't get ford. it says the global ranger is very close to the f-150 in size but when you read the dimension comparison, it doesn't appear to be as close as they make it out to be. with the st out of production i will have to look at another company when it comes time for me to shop for a new truck. as nice as the f 150 is, i just can't go that big.

as nice as the f 150 is, i just can't go that big.

Same here. I wonder if the global ranger. I what the f-100 was going to be.

Chassis size anyway. Maybe not sheet metal.

Here's a novel idea, Since all makers are going "retro" with some of thier cars, maybe Ford might want to look at re-doing an older version of the pick-up! 40's or 50's models (F-100) something with modern underpinnings, 4 doors, short bed (V-8). Not like the Chevy SSR or whatever its called. Just an idea, but its nice to dream anyway. Bob

Ford may be using the excuse that the Ranger is too close in size to the F150, but I don't buy it. I think there is another reason that they don't want to share with us...at least not yet?

...Rich

yup almost identical dimensions...................not:banghead:

"Compared with a four-door F-150 with a regular 5.5-foot box, the four-door Ranger (expected to be the most popular body type) is smaller in every dimension, but still generously proportioned for a compact pickup. According to the tape measure, overall length (231.9 versus 210.6 inches), wheelbase (144.5 versus 126.8), track (67 versus 61), and height (76.2 versus 71.7) all fall in the F-truck's favor. The Ranger's box size is slightly smaller in bed length (67.0 versus 61.4 inches), and in the distance between wheelhouses (50.0 versus 44.8)."

Ford may be using the excuse that the Ranger is too close in size to the F150, but I don't buy it. I think there is another reason that they don't want to share with us...at least not yet?

...Rich

$$$

They are making plenty of money on F-150 and do not want to dillute it with something else. As soon as buyers start going to Toyota, or Government Motors comes out with a decent smaller pickup, Ford will wake up and give us a decent smaller pickup. Right now there isn't much competition, so Ford isn't worried about it.

Also, Ford made so much money on Ranger over the years- using and re-using a tired old design and all that paid-for tooling that they just can't get the nerve to get off their butts and come up with a great smaller truck right now.

:angry::fire:

They are making plenty of money on F-150 and do not want to dillute it with something else.

Nail on the head. And the new EcoBoost V6 and N/A 3.7L V6 are selling like hotcakes. F150's with those engines are achieving the same or better MPG than Rangers did, with much more power/capability. So there's no financial incentive/business case for Ford to bring the global Ranger to the US, or build another small truck domestically either.

Just imagine what the new Ranger equipped with a 3.2-liter I-5 turbodiesel with 197 horsepower and 347 lb-ft of torque would do to F150 sales here in the US.

I can't believe they went ahead and put the cargo bed tie-down cleats on it!

What a kick in the ball$ to us ST enthusiasts. :smack:

:fire: Ford's Decision

TrainTrac: Doesn't seem to matter to GM:

I almost hate to post this link since I suspect a few current Trac owners will now have this on their bucket list. You listening Ford?

Ford at least has plans to build them in Argentina...my guess is they will probably sell them in Mexico before we ever get them. Ford has said they will not be sold in North America so I guess that includes Mexico. They did get our old version but they could get that one in a crew cab while we could not.

I almost hate to post this link since I suspect a few current Trac owners will now have this on their bucket list.

Not this Trac owner. I'll never, ever own a Government Motors product again!:angry:

I don't like the Chebby either but at least by posting it here Ford might start to get worried that they will be losing some of those V6 F-150 sales to GM. This whole thing just makes me sick. If Ford is so worried about the T6 Ranger stealing F-150 sales then maybe they should just sell two vehicles, F-150 and Taurus. Using that kind of logic nobody should need or want anything else, right?:banghead:

Latest posts