New owner 07 V8 ST-tanny issues-advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Between 40-50 MPH and 1500-2000 RPM under light load, say going up a hill, i have what i think is called a transmission flash happening. The RPMs bounce, transmission seems to slip in and out searching and i get a slight shudder. Only between those RPM's, always at that speed.

I have replaced all the coil packs with Denso, replaced plugs with motorcraft, took it to dealer for PCM flash so they flashed it.

Learned yesterday they did not flash the TCM and want another 100 bucks to do it. Figured since i wanted the PCM flashed for a transmission issue they would do the TCM as well. They did not replace the sticker on the PCM to show new code word.

I did unplug the truck for 30 mins. No change.

So i am taking it in to have the transmission flushed by ford, the TCM updated and have them check for any misfires.

Is there anything else i need to be aware of or assure the dealer checks out? I would hate for the dealer to "miss" something which will cost me later to have done.

First truck and have been reading this board until i am dizzy learning.

Thanks!

Could just need a service. First of the v8 we heard of a flair at that speeds....

Keep us posted.

Todd Z

How many miles on this truck? As it's pre-owned you're probably in the dark about prior maintenance; a trans fluid service and TCM update is about the best you can hope for. If you're at 100K+ miles I'd have the trans filter changed in conjunction with the fluid service. You might want to ask the service advisor beforehand.

It has 75 thousand and change in miles. We bought the truck 3 weeks ago. Dealer i am working with said they couldnt tell me anything that was done to the truck that was not warranty work and to call the other dealer. Off the carfax report i called the dealer in a different town which has done all the repairs and service since it was bought by the original owner new. It has not had any transmission servicing, so of course, that needs to be done. (thank you to this board for filling me in on the schedule for this transmission) I set up an appointment for Tuesday to have the engine/ignition checked for any issues( i did replace all plugs and coils) and to check the transmission out. Also, i need to have a talk with them about doing half the TSB work for the PCM and TCM flash.

I printed out the TSB;s as well and explained what was happening, yet the service guy only put in the notes"Customer wants PCM flashed" and that was it. Tech had no way of even knowing why i brought it in. No mention of the transmission issues or the TBS's i wanted resolved and now wants another 100 dollars to finish what i believe they should have done to begin with.

So i will be specific, and i want to make sure they check the transmission out for any defects prior to doing the flush so they dont charge me for a flush than tell me parts inside need to be replaced.

Typically, when software is updated, it is to the latest release, so that comment "Customer wants PCM flashed" should be sufficient.

I agree that you have to be specific when wanting specific services performed AND be sure the repair order states what YOU want it to state.

When a diagnostic is desired, I would be specific with regard to the symptoms, but not in what they should do for the diagnostic.

I took it in today. Based on the TSB's i printed and gave him the first time he said they would have done the TCM as well but it still would have cost and additional 100 dollars because the TCM and PCM are not accessed by the same port and are separate computers. So updating each is 100 dollars each.

I was specific the first time, even printing the TSB's. This time i broke it down into :

Engine- check for codes, check ignition for possible misfires..ect, ect

Transmission- i said i wanted the TSB's for the shifting issues applied, the trans mechanically and checked out and only if nothing needed to be replaced than do the flush. I didnt want them flushing it than telling me i needed to drop the pan.

PCM- Sticker on PCM is a code referring to the software version. I said they didnt replace the sticker showing the new code word. He said that was only on old cars. I said check it anyway and up date the sticker.

I reviewed it 3 times with him before i left. I wasnt a d-ck about it. I was nice, just specific and concerned.

I will give them a few days to check everything over and get back and give an update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer called back. Said its a bad torque converter and valve body.

3900 dollars parts and labor. they dont have a rebuilt one. Cant get one.

Does this price seem a bit high??

Mine did the same at about the same mileage. Thought it was Transmission. Only really noticeable at the speeds/rpm you mentioned, and on the highway under light acceleration (cruise control at set speed for instance) I replaced the coil packs and the problem resolved itself. You're close to the time to change plugs too. I'd get that done before changing coils to see if that helps. (If you're doing it yourself, get the tool to remove broken ones before you start). I called around and asked mechanics if they had experience with te 2pc plugs and removing them. The guy I took mine to (at 104k I think it was) didn't break a single plug, but I only run good gas and regular synthetic oil changes. Probably keep the carbon build up issue to a minimum. I've had mine since it had 21 miles on it, so I know what kind of care it has been given.

Edit: I see you've already done that as I read further down. I replaced mine with Accel Coil packs (from Amazon, best price I could find on a full set).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer called back. Said its a bad torque converter and valve body.

3900 dollars parts and labor. they dont have a rebuilt one. Cant get one.

Does this price seem a bit high??

Yes, seems a bit high. I had the Trans in mine replaced (something inside let it shift from 2nd into reverse while moving forward (They said a broken spring?) The driveshaft had to also be replaced, new Torque converter, new reman transmission, and also had them open up the transfer case and reseal it and check for damage. The rear end was also checked for damage and refilled.

My total was $5500 and about 3 weeks of downtime waiting on parts (apparently the 6R60 doesn't get too many units in to be re manufactured)

This happened at 104k miles and in May of 2015. Has been great since. I took it back to Ford after the replacement to get the latest programming for it ($110 for the re-flash) after I picked it up from the trans shop.

Went to AAMCO, they checked it out, TC is bad, the Medtronic unit (valve body) appears to be fine.

1200 dollars and change to fix plus updating the TCM

Anyone have experience with a bad valve body? What are they symptoms? If this was a old Pontiac i would know, but now everything has electronics..

Watched it, good info.

I will be asking AAMCO how they tested the valve body, if they checked the solenoids, pump, ect.....

Dealer said valve body is bad, trans service said its not.

Trans doesnt thunk or slam into gear.

In a th350 if the TC is going bad you can power break it slow and bring the RPM's up and feel a shudder. I did it with the truck and got no misses or shuddering. Yet both places told me the truck TC was bad....who to believe?

I just dont want to have the work done, than have to take it back for the valve body.

Either way i will come out cheaper than almost 4000 dollars the dealer wanted for the valve body and TC repair.

I will call this monday and ask.

They replaced the torque converter. So far so good. It drives like a different truck. Wife took it for a trip of a couple of hours and it worked fine. So lets hope that it stays working.

Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts