New Explorer=Flex with bumps??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaninVa

Reaction score
Maybe I am a little slow but the new Explorer looks like a Flex to me. Is this revamp one of the reasons the ST is being dumped? Screwed by Ford again!!

Is this revamp one of the reasons the ST is being dumped?

Yes. Also the fact that consumers are NOT buying body on frame SUV's and the ST sales are down to a crawl, Ford has really no choice but to build a vehicle that people want to buy.

Tom

Ugly! I guess I have to keep my Trac going forever now...I could never see myself driving that thing. Such a fall from the first Explorer...

To add to this: New Explorer - min 7.6" ground clearance. 2010 ST - 8.5" min. 2010 Explorer - 8.3". For those of us who use our Explorers off road on a regular basis, the loss of almost a full inch seems silly. Yet it is being touted as being the "most capable yet." UGH.

No off road machine and probably wont tow like the old ones and I rather have a full frame truck or suv. But, I like the looks a lot. I loved my 1997 and I hated the last vesion, those were butt ugly. These are much nicer looking then the box.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like their Trac, Cayman.:supercool: The ST was scapped because of Obama's Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) standards, which mandate minimum fleet mileage standards for motor vehicles sold in the United States. Ford can't afford to have to many different trucks in their fleet.

The ST was scapped because of Obama's Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) standards, which mandate minimum fleet mileage standards for motor vehicles sold in the United States. Ford can't afford to have to many different trucks in their fleet.

When only like 8,000 ST's were built in 2010 compared to 70,000 built in 2002, it has little to do with CAFE standards. It has everything to do with sales numbers.

Tom

New Explorer=Flex with bumps?? by DaninVAMember Profile, 11/21/2010 16:38 ET

Category - Comparisons to Other Vehicles

Maybe I am a little slow but the new Explorer looks like a Flex to me. Is this revamp one of the reasons the ST is being dumped? Screwed by Ford again!!

Really can't wait to hear this explanation.

Just what qualifies this statement?

How are we being screwed by Ford again?

And can you enlighten me on some of the previous screwings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it is a Freestyle / Taurus X -- which is not a bad thing. They were great vehicles that would be heralded by the automotive media as the "perfect" vehicle in their class if Toyota had made them. My wife's 05 Freestyle Limited AWD with the CVT trans has been an outstanding all-around family vehicle. Like the ST, the Freestyle never received much promotion by Ford. It had to be discovered.

I think it is FUGLY.......

Sucks to ruin the explorer name !!!

I will NEVER own one !!!

Todd Z

The ST was scapped because of Obama's Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency (CAFE) standards...

Just so we're clear here: CAFE standards have been around for a long time before President Obama. CAFE standards became necessary because Americans weren't too smart in using up our own crude oil resources so quickly, thus making us dependent on the foreign oil cartel OPEC for most of our crude oil consumption. Also, after spending many US dollars and lives to give Kuwait back to its royals, I kind of expected the US President in 1990 to have served the American people by negotiating a really sweet discount plan on Kuwaiti oil in exchange for the return of their land.

I could go on and on, but I'll summarize by saying that if you want to point fingers over the demise of the ST, you're going to need a whole lot more fingers...

Latest posts