new engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Gleason

Reaction score
Come Monday I'm having a Jasper long block engine installed in the 04 Sport Trac. It has 144000 on it and I'm paranoid about the timing chains letting go. With this I hope my worries are over but I'll have to drive it for ever to get my money out of it.

Why not have them check the chains and put in new tensioners before it goes in.

Ed

Why not have them check the chains and put in new tensioners before it goes in.

Ed

The way you worded it it seemed like you were saying it had 144k on the new motor and you were worried about the chains.

I would just change oil regularly and drive it until it dies.... It could go tomorrow or never.

If the chains are not making noise now, I would not waste the money and headache.

Todd Z

I would drop a motor in. Only if this one craters. We have some members running on 250K miles.

Lee1940 said:

Why wouldn't it have new chains and tensioners already in it, its a reman long block?

Answer: Because not all engine rebuilding shops replace parts that do not appear to be worn heavily. Unless they guarantee that the timing chains and tensioners have been replaced with new parts, you may be getting an engine that has more mileage on the timing chains than your original engine...???

Like others have said...If you are not having a problem with the timing chain or tensioners, leave it alone. You sound a bit too paranoid. Even if you have to replace the timing chain and tensioners somewhere down the road, you can re-evaluate the decision at that time...and you have plenty of time for that since the timing chain noise will give you plenty of advanced warning.

...Rich

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am probably being paranoid, age tends to do that I guess. being stuck on the side of the road at our age is not something to look forward too. Anyway there is a lot of rattle at start up and still there at idle, Ford dealer tells me this is an interference engine so if the chain goes so does a lot of other stuff. There's a cost to peace of mind and I'm willing to bear it. I just want to pull my little Aliner hassle free and enjoy the road for awhile longer.

Thanks again.

P.S. I dought I'll live long enough to see 370000 on it.

Latest posts