New Dual Exhuast, pictures inside !!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gerner 2

Reaction score
My buddy and I bent up some new dual 2.5" tailpipes with a Magnaflow Stailess Steel muffler (knockoff from swap meet vendor).

It sounds alot better then the Flowmaster did, definetly different.

I had the Flowmaster on for about two and half years and it sounded pretty good but the huge difference in sound and performance really opened up when I installed the Stainless Steel Random Technology Y-Pipe and High Flow Cat (Huge Difference in sound and MPG/ Power). <--- Todd over at Zabteck sells these.

The muffler I installed is a stainless steel single 2.5" in/ Dual 2.5" out (was told by guy it's a MagnaFlow knockoff).

When you look inside the muffler it looks like the inside of a glasspack with all the small holes and it's straight thru, not sure what the iside of a MagnaFlow looks like.

It's quieter at idle going down the road then the Flowmaster was but screams when you get on it and has more get up and go then the Flowmaster did. I'll have to find the sound clips I had from the Flowmaster and get some with the new exhaust.

The Flowmaster was a single 3" in/ dual 2.5" out so I think I lost some low end torque with the bigger inlet. I can feel it right off the line now.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

:banana::driving::driving::supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
:supercool:

Nice job Jerry! If it sounds like magnaflow, great. I never liked the sound of flowmasters. I never got around to changing the FM's on my 'stang. Prevouis owner put them on. I was going to use the edelbrock rpm series. Simular to magnaflow, but with dual core. I had them on my built 5.0L '88 t-bird. Sweet sound.

I did go to better headers and a bassani cat-x pipe.

I have a project in my head for my trac, true duals. I have the rt-y-pipe also w/stock main convertors and single in-out magnaflow. I like the sound. It Sounds better after few years of use. Not loud though.

My brother has a template I made. He is getting a 3/8" plate cnc cut. It will flange to the rt-y-pipe. From there magnaflo makes small bullit style cats(correct 3way catylyst), that are offset/offset, in and out. That will allow easy stagering. From there I will use an x-pipe. For pulse equalization and a place for the O2 sensor bung. Then magnaflow dual-in/dual-out. Most likley I will use 2" tailpipes. To maintain low end torque and easy routing. The flow will still be enough for max HP.

Sorry to highjack, with my idea. I do like yours..:supercool:

You'll definetly have to make a project thread or atleast post pictures if you get around to doing that, I have the RT y-pipe, high flow cat and have thought about doing a true dual setup someday.

Jerry, Since this has never been done on a gen 1. I will take pics and write it up, for a project. It's gonna cost some $$$$, though. I would like to find a shop that does mandrel bends and SS tubing. It wont be soon. Got to set aside some $$$. I have priced the stuff I need to buy. $400 before the tubing and labor.

It may not make any more power. Im kinda like you. Always tinkering Looking for something unique..LOL

If you buy some engine paint and paint your welds the pipe will last considerably longer.

When you weld aluminized pipe, the corosion protection of the pipe is compromised.

Looks good,,, enjoy it..

Thanks for the tip of covering the welds with engine paint, I remember seeing something about this before but forgot all about it until you just mentioned it.

:banana::haveabeer:

It blows me away how much rust you guys have living up north. All my vehicles are bascily rust free living in the south.

but.. I guess your used to it.

Latest posts