Nerf Bar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector Colon

Reaction score
:eek:nline: Slowly looking to work on the Trac. Kept looking at ther OEM Nerf Bars and of course, leave it to Ford to give you something that eventually ends up Rusting. Anyhow, decided to treat and paint. Removed plastic piece off the bar, pretty simple to do, they just pop off (start on one end and work your way over). Sanded down all the rusty spots to bare metal. Afterwards treated the bar with Purple Power De-Ruster. You let it sit until the metal turns black and wipe it dry. I then sprayed it with Krylon Rust primer (grey with zinc). After letting it sit and dry, I used Krylon Semi Flat Black paint. About 2-3 good thin coats should do it. After totally dry, inserted plastic stepper and "new", no rust Black Nerf Bars. I think I like the contrast of the black bar with gray plastic insert. Picture in my library, but doesn't do it justice, looks much better live. (BTW, Gonna go add a few coats of clear coat for added protection). :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! My OEM bars are rusting too. Tried to take them off and actuall ended up snapping the fasteners on the bolts so it looks like theyre on for good unless i hack saw the bolts :angry: lol

Looks good to me... I like the black. If you do clearcoat, post addl pics please. This is very similar to what I was considering, and I like your idea better... Thanks!

Latest posts