Nelson, question for you?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
I will do some calling around tomorrow but I was wondering if your branch, or any branch for that matter, will take a 42 year old with 23 years service into the reserves.

Had a MAJOR issue in the Coast Guard that has put such a load on me I am walking.

Has cost me my E7 promotion, (due to not holding it long enough to retire as a E7), lots of dollars, and my GI bill stuff, (and I just enrolled in collage last month).

I am not a happy man....

I'm no personnel expert, so I am not sure. I know the Army has the "Blue to Green" program which allows folks in certain career fields to transition to the Army without loss of rank, but I believe that is for folks with less than 10 years.

I suspect the Navy would be your best chance to get into the Reserves since your training would be more suited to their career fields, but I am not sure they will take folks that have more than 23 years (retirement eligible). Also, the decision could be affected by whatever codes are put onto your DD 214, Proof of Military Service. If there are any negative codes, such as disability, you could be barred from further service.

Your best bet may be to enter Civil Service and roll those years of Coast Guard service into a civilian retirement. You would only have to work an additional 7 years, plus to the age of 55 to max out a full civil service retirement.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things work out for you.

Latest posts