Need rear susp. help for towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Muratore

Reaction score
He all, been a long time!

I got myself into crapcan racing (24 hours of lemons) and it's been all down hill since.

I sold my Shelby in Feb and in June sprung for a racecar and trailer. Upon towing the rig home I found that I was running the STA on the rear bump stops. Since my wife won't let me trade the STA for an F-150 still (bought the STA because she didn't want a 150 in the first place), I need some help on options or alternatives... I have a 2010 AWD with the V8 and would like to look into airbags, but just can't seem to find any for the Gen 2 cars. I will only be towing 5 to 6 weekends a year, so wasn't looking to permanently change the suspension height or stiffness, hence a set of bags.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Belltech kit says for rear leaf springs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's a bit more trailer than the car needs... Cortina is 14ft long. trailer is an 18 foot bed. It came as a package.

This is the trailer - http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/car_hauler_wood_floor.php

I plan to move the car back.. I also plan to load her tail first to put the engine weight behind the axles. I was hoping to be able to use the front 3 feet to load spares and tools.

Trailer is something like 3,000lbs (Have an email to johnson to confirm). Car is 1,800 w/fuel.

I'll look into a weight dist hitch as well. (Still thinking about pushing wife to let me do an F-150). As much as I love the STA, this work is really on the high end of her abilities.

Johnny, I actually found this about 90 minutes away in SW New Jersey... It started life out in Wisconsin... Has been a race car since 1970. http://webpages.charter.net/hmrracing/hmr_racing_cortina_003.htm

So the STA has been sold... reading more into tow capacity and how trucks are rated, it was becoming clear that she wasn't going to hold up to the abuse of a race team. My wife fell in love with a new car and I was able to convince her that a double swap was good for our wallets... She has a new car and my new truck is on order. Thanks to all that have helped me over the years...

There's some Sport Trac parts in the Swap and Sell for anyone looking for some mods.

I went with the Ram 1500 Sport Hemi, 3.92, Air suspension, Ramboxes, TBC and 8Spd trans among other things.

I really tried to go F-150. That was my first stop and I really liked it. Just after taking out a Ram and talking price it was way more truck for alot less money.

F-150 CC, short bed FX4 Ecoboost with Nav, FX4 Appearance, Nav and Sunroof - $48,717 was their best price

Resulted in $675/mth lease for 39mths with $1,500 out of pocket

RAM 1500 Sport CC, short bed loaded (all option minus Sunroof and Sport Hood - $48,042

Resulted in $595/mth lease for 39mths with $500 out of pocket

Just waiting for it to be built as I custom ordered.

Latest posts