Need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorin W

Reaction score
Any idea what would make the door locks to work only when "locking" the doors but the "unlock" doesn't? I need to use the driver's door keypad to open the door. I do have an aftermarket remote-start system and the command seems to be sent to the truck to unlock (I hear the door locks trying to work) but it just doesn't work...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Earlier ST had issues with the rivets breaking that hold the actuator to the door. Or the actuator is bad.

Todd Z

Yupp I had this happen on passenger door, rivet broke and it did the same thing. I went to hardware store got a short nut and bolt with some loctite and fixed it myself , haven't had a problem since and that's been a few years ago.

Remove the door panel to inspect. Most common failures are a small tension spring in the door latch, weak actuator or broken rivet as mentioned, or latch

rods and clips. Make sure you lift UP on the panel before pulling out. There is a plastic "hook" in the front by the mirror that is easily broken with no reliable fix.

Door Panel Removal

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/doorpanelremoval/doorpanelremoval.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Info if the actuator needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the tips but what would be the odds to have problems be happening to all four doors in the same time. For me looks more like a electrical issue. I was hoping to find someone who had a similar issue, looks like I'm out of luck. The truth of the matter is that about three years back I had a similar situation and went to dealership and end up replacing parts (actuators and stuff) in all doors and I payed a little fortune to them. I still believe that there is something else going on and got robbed last time.

ALL doors not unlocking definitely electrical. Actually very common for small wires to break in the drivers door hinge area.

Yes, it was a broken wire. An amazing guy from Best Buy pulled the panels:banana:, traced the wires and found the broken one and fixed it. On top of that he did it free of charge and he even refused to accept a tip. Very nice guy. :banana:

Latest posts