Need help with win 7 and email (today if poosible)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Converted Rose's laptop from Vista to Win 7 and now she has no email. She hates t-bird and made me uninstall it... What can I do,,, she has 4 years of outlook mail and I can't figure out how to get it back.. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft office.....

Or go to microsoft.com and download it..

I run incredamail, since I need mulitiple accounts on vista.......

Todd Z

7 does NOT come with outlook, or outlook express. If you MS office, you can install Outlook. Windows 7 comes with Live mail and that's about it.

Yes, You will have to reinstall MS Office for Outlook mail but you might be talking about Outlook Express, which does not come with Win 7. Hopefully you saved the file before the upgrade. If not you are out of luck.

If you did an upgrade instead of a fresh install, look for a folder that says "Windows.old." It may have your old data in there.

Download Windows Live Mail for free. Compatible with Outlook mail/calender stuff, very easy to use, and I think MS is intending for it to replace Outlook Express.

ok,,, I found my bought copy of office 2003 with outlook... loaded it and everything works,,, BUT I still cannot reteive Rose's old email or address book from her vista machine... Damn MS

Just copy over her pst file from the vista machine and import it to the win7. The PST holds contacts, emails, calendar everything pretty much.

Coastie ??

How are you fixed for Win7 for 32 bit vista upgrade ???

Todd Z

JD,, vista saves everything in *.eml form.. I have found the directory they are in,,, each message is it's own file. don't ask where the contacts are, but it has to be one of the files I can't open.

Oh thats right we are talking about windows mail not outlook.

I'll get you some answers for that in just a minute.

C:/Users/(UserName)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Mail/Local Folders - should have the address book

It is a hidden/system folder so you might have to navigate there manually or enable viewing hidden/system files

Is the vista machine still operational?

If so you might have an easier time using it and installing outlook on that machine, then importing all of the mail/contacts and such and then just dealing with the one pst file to then move it over to the win7 machine.

NOPE,,, win 7 already done.... Didn't know about no mail stuff. Thanks JD,,, got that far before,,,figured out how to retrieve them by opening them up in tbird and forwarding them. That works for the emails messages,,, but what I'm try to find is her contacts list.